Cornish Thread

I would not keep any birds that can't breed naturally. I feel that we go beyond the scope of good husbandry when we push them to that extent. I feel that way with any species. It is one thing to AI to get better genetics into a herd or flock, but just because they have been bred to a point of not being able to breed naturally, that is too far for me.

Mikaela,
I find that the Cornish get stressed more easily that other breeds I have owned/raised. I have treated more of them for respiratory issues and bubbly eyes, and it is always when it gets to extremely cold or extremely hot weather. This winter I have some mid-Summer hatch birds in a tractor type coop which has been blocked from wind with ample space, but otherwise, NO pampering. They are the only Cornish I have that have not had one issue or another with health. I have had to cull a few because they showed early signs of weakness. I don't have many losses outside of culling with them. I did lose my DC cock the day before Thanksgiving, which was a really cold day (single digits) and two cockerels had gotten into the pen. He obviously had a heart attack, and I assume from fighting with the younger birds in the cold. They just aren't built like other breeds, therefore their hearts and lungs have a bit more challenge in keeping up with changes than other breeds. My goal is to keep working to breed only the more resilient Cornish I can.

I would not keep any birds that can't breed naturally. I feel that we go beyond the scope of good husbandry when we push them to that extent. I feel that way with any species. It is one thing to AI to get better genetics into a herd or flock, but just because they have been bred to a point of not being able to breed naturally, that is too far for me.

Mikaela,
I find that the Cornish get stressed more easily that other breeds I have owned/raised. I have treated more of them for respiratory issues and bubbly eyes, and it is always when it gets to extremely cold or extremely hot weather. This winter I have some mid-Summer hatch birds in a tractor type coop which has been blocked from wind with ample space, but otherwise, NO pampering. They are the only Cornish I have that have not had one issue or another with health. I have had to cull a few because they showed early signs of weakness. I don't have many losses outside of culling with them. I did lose my DC cock the day before Thanksgiving, which was a really cold day (single digits) and two cockerels had gotten into the pen. He obviously had a heart attack, and I assume from fighting with the younger birds in the cold. They just aren't built like other breeds, therefore their hearts and lungs have a bit more challenge in keeping up with changes than other breeds. My goal is to keep working to breed only the more resilient Cornish I can.
I think I would have to agree with you on this thought about the stress on the Cornish birds, I have had the same here with mine but they always seem to pull through it ok, But tomorrow night it is supposed to be in the low to mid 20s here, my bantams will be comming in for the night.

I disagree. My cornish are as hardy of a bird as I have ever had. My birds do quite well in a 3 sided coop year round. I also must say that these Cornish take the summer heat extremely better than most birds do.

I would have to agree with Kfacres. My cornish are in three sided coops in windy 40 below temps and seem good to go. They eat a lot but they are hardy. It has been about a month without a cornish egg though. I cant wait to see how they turn out his summer.

Last edited:

Hi! New to this thread. We recently adopted a 2 year old Cornish hen, I assume bantam, as she's about the size of my Silkie but probably 3 times as heavy. Is she a WLR? She's still in her own pen while the other three get used to her but she's fairly friendly despite not being handled much. And tips on keeping a bantam Cornish with other larger birds or will she blend in like the Silkie?

Here's a few more pics of her. Happy to hear critiques! She supposedly came from show stock but who knows. We'll keep her and love her regardless so it won't hurt my feelings to be told she's all wrong! LOL

Hi! New to this thread. We recently adopted a 2 year old Cornish hen, I assume bantam, as she's about the size of my Silkie but probably 3 times as heavy. Is she a WLR? She's still in her own pen while the other three get used to her but she's fairly friendly despite not being handled much. And tips on keeping a bantam Cornish with other larger birds or will she blend in like the Silkie?
Knowing what one breeder told me she should be able to defend herself! I was told Cornish hens will fight with each other until one has a heart attack or they fall on their backs. Good luck with her! I wish I could add more but I have never raised that breed.

Knowing what one breeder told me she should be able to defend herself! I was told Cornish hens will fight with each other until one has a heart attack or they fall on their backs. Good luck with her! I wish I could add more but I have never raised that breed.

My cornish are not aggressive. They are very much like my buckeyes, they don't start a fight but are not afraid to defend themselves. I've never heard of any that were killers like you are saying.

Back
Top Bottom