Cornish Thread

I am surprised at how well my pullets are laying already, but the 2 young cockerels in with them are 6 weeks younger, even thought they are bigger. Are they likely to not be breeding then until the older girls have been laying for 6+ weeks?

Also, what is the recommended ration of cockerels to hens?

Last edited:
I am surprised at how well my pullets are laying already, but the 2 young cockerels in with them are 6 weeks younger, even thought they are bigger. Are they likely to not be breeding then until the older girls have been laying for 6+ weeks?

Also, what is the recommended ration of cockerels to hens?

Good morning. I assume you are talking about cornish? You didnt say how old the cockerels are, but if they are 20 weeks or so, they are thinking about romance now.... I would expect a few are fertile now too. But I find Cornish males about two weeks behind the hens when both are stimulated by the same natural day light. They take just a couple weeks longer to be completely up to speed.
As to ratio. The highest I run in my cornish breeding pens is 6-1. I find 4 to 1 to be ideal for my line. Of course every group is a bit different, and the "line" you are working also makes a huge difference. A line that is a bit lanky, when compared to the SOP, will breed much better than one that has shorter shanks and heavier breast..... Good luck, Bill

Last edited:
Hi. I just got 4 Cornish chicks today from Ideal and the two white laced red died very soon after arriving followed by one of the darks. Its been 8 hrs and and the last dark Cornish is trying but I don't think she'll make it. Should I get replacements or are they hard to ship? They are from Ideal in Texas and its a long trip to PA. I don't want to order again and then loose them.

Hi. I just got 4 Cornish chicks today from Ideal and the two white laced red died very soon after arriving followed by one of the darks. Its been 8 hrs and and the last dark Cornish is trying but I don't think she'll make it. Should I get replacements or are they hard to ship? They are from Ideal in Texas and its a long trip to PA. I don't want to order again and then loose them.

Are you experiencing unusually bad weather? Any other chicks in the batch looking poor? My first Cornish were from ideal. I lost one chick out of the lot of 12 (red broilers and Cornish) but the rest did great. I would disinfect your brooder, make sure you have adequate heat, and try reshipping.

Are you experiencing unusually bad weather? Any other chicks in the batch looking poor? My first Cornish were from ideal. I lost one chick out of the lot of 12 (red broilers and Cornish) but the rest did great. I would disinfect your brooder, make sure you have adequate heat, and try reshipping.

Yeah I lost 4 of 5 ducks and 5 of 10 chicks. I did everything I was supposed to with heat, food, water. My last two batches went great so I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time with these. Pretty sure shes going to pass soon.

I'd try a different hatchery. Never got Cornish from Ideal but I've seen maybe two dozen of their other breeds and they are always smaller and less vigorous than from other hatcheries. Mind I work with maybe 4,000 birds a year from various hatcheries and theirs have never impressed me and usually just disappointed me. We've stopped ordering from them altogether until they get their act together.

Sorry for the loss. I would let them know. They have great customer service, so in the least you can get refunded for the ones that are a lost cause, if you don't feel like risking another shipment. That is pretty far to ship and I'm not sure what your weather is like. I'm lucky enough to live in Texas so we have never had a problem. Quite a few years ago we would order 50 Cornish X from them at a time, and would only lose a handful. Last year the family did a combined order of 25 pullets to split between us, laying breeds, that all are sound and healthy. However, I understand that this could be because they arrive either the same day as shipped or the next morning. Or maybe some of their breeds are healthier or stronger than others. I'de like to order some WLR Cornish from them but am now wondering if they have a weak line... probably not the most helpful post, just my random thoughts, but good luck either way.

Sorry for the loss. I would let them know. They have great customer service, so in the least you can get refunded for the ones that are a lost cause, if you don't feel like risking another shipment. That is pretty far to ship and I'm not sure what your weather is like. I'm lucky enough to live in Texas so we have never had a problem. Quite a few years ago we would order 50 Cornish X from them at a time, and would only lose a handful. Last year the family did a combined order of 25 pullets to split between us, laying breeds, that all are sound and healthy. However, I understand that this could be because they arrive either the same day as shipped or the next morning. Or maybe some of their breeds are healthier or stronger than others. I'de like to order some WLR Cornish from them but am now wondering if they have a weak line... probably not the most helpful post, just my random thoughts, but good luck either way.

They are going to try shipping the order again with a few extra chicks, gro gel and heat pack. Hopefully it works out. I ordered from them because of the East Indie ducks and ordered chicks instead of the roo packing peanuts they normally put in. Three birds out of 15 survived. Weather wasn't that bad but should be even better next week.

If I were you I would keep away from hatchery stock.
Try to find a private breeder breeding for utility qualities not show.

Start with the best quality you can, You will have to pay more initially but will be cheaper in the long run.
And you can earn money back selling surplus stock.

Second set of white Cornish test eggs are due to hatch today. only nine at this point. I decided to candle them as I moved them to lock down. I dropped one and it crushed another one in the tray before falling to the tile floor. 11 out of 12 were developing nicely. One had a blood ring. Long story short, I killed two healthy eggs with my poor juggling act. Then there were nine..... all nine are pipped now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom