Cornish Thread

Most of my crosses, and I do mean CROSSES, not CX are to exploit hybrid vigor. I've had very good results.Once again this is off topic,and it is supported by numerous studies. With that I bid you good day. I shall return to the threads that are a little less focused.:)

Last edited:
Do you find that you have to offer your Cornish lower roosts than for your other breeds?

I integrated the Cornish that I acquired this week. The dark pullet has decided to sleep in the nest boxes. the cockerel has decided to sleep on the stairs. I added a low roost because the hen is quite large and can't fly, so she is hanging out on her own. I'm hoping that since the pullet has figured out that she can go up high that she will retain this as she ages- or do I need to work out some other, lower roost options for them?

Quote:
I agree that "Hybrid Vigor" is well documented and can improve traits for a generation of a given line. But its also the battle cry of breeders that ended up with poor examples of what ever they were raising. There are many causes. Most often a lack of funds, facilities, focus, or knowledge.... But for one reason or another, Its a breeder, that made the stock what is or is not. We have all personally seen it in rabbits, dogs, chicken and quail just to name a few.... Instead of taking the time to work within a given breed. Maintaining genetic diversity. Bringing in different lines of the same breed. And working toward specific goals. The same stock is bred, or most often, allowed to breed in one big pen. Till the off spring start to get smaller, show joint problems and become less fertile. Then a out cross is made and BAM. The resulting mutts are bigger and now breed well again. Its easy to proclaim that the out cross of another breed saved the day. Well thats not exactly what happened..... The "breeder" has actually started with poor stock in the first place or beat down the genetics of his line till it was so depressed the line shared too much of the same DNA. If If unrelated stock of the same breed had been introduced. The same improvements could have been seen. I say if you start with good stock. Maintain genetic diversity with a large enough pool of stock. And aggressively cull for defects or undesired traits. You can maintain a pure line that is as "healthy" as any line of hybrids, that will always breed true. Im absolutely not saying any of this pertains to you. But is often the case when a pure line becomes less productive or shows unhealthy traits.....

Last edited:
Do you find that you have to offer your Cornish lower roosts than for your other breeds?

I integrated the Cornish that I acquired this week.  The dark pullet has decided to sleep in the nest boxes.  the cockerel has decided to sleep on the stairs.  I added a low roost because the hen is quite large and can't fly, so she is hanging out on her own.  I'm hoping that since the pullet has figured out that she can go up high that she will retain this as she ages- or do I need to work out some other, lower roost options for them?

Good morning. Yes... As you have found, good Cornish are heavy! Most of my cockerels are too heavy to fly very well. Few hens can get over a 6' dog type kennel by the time they are over a year old... I have had large roosters jump off tall a roost and injured themselves... I use roosts of about 16" high or a deep layer of bedding underneath.... but your birds may just be the new kid and still low in the pecking order... Cornish are Often outcast in a large mixed flock... congrats on your new birds!

And NONE of my birds are typical.lol I was NOT referring to CX. To date I've used barred rocks,black copper marans,dark cornish,white jersey giants,silver Dorkings,leghorns,easter eggers,welp slow grow broilers and my latest cross was with Saipan. I apologize for getting off topic. I realize this is a CORNISH thread.

How'd the saipian cross turn out? I've got 3 in my brooder as well as my first 3 Cornish.

Sorry this is probably a stupid question but is the dark Cornish like some other birds where it coul be blue/black/splash? Some of your birds look to be the color of my blue Wyandotte?

Sorry this is probably a stupid question but is the dark Cornish like some other birds where it coul be blue/black/splash? Some of your birds look to be the color of my blue Wyandotte?
Quote:
I agree that "Hybrid Vigor" is well documented and can improve traits for a generation of a given line. But its also the battle cry of breeders that ended up with poor examples of what ever they were raising. There are many causes. Most often a lack of funds, facilities, focus, or knowledge.... But for one reason or another, Its a breeder, that made the stock what is or is not. We have all personally seen it in rabbits, dogs, chicken and quail just to name a few.... Instead of taking the time to work within a given breed. Maintaining genetic diversity. Bringing in different lines of the same breed. And working toward specific goals. The same stock is bred, or most often, allowed to breed in one big pen. Till the off spring start to get smaller, show joint problems and become less fertile. Then a out cross is made and BAM. The resulting mutts are bigger and now breed well again. Its easy to proclaim that the out cross of another breed saved the day. Well thats not exactly what happened..... The "breeder" has actually started with poor stock in the first place or beat down the genetics of his line till it was so depressed the line shared too much of the same DNA. If If unrelated stock of the same breed had been introduced. The same improvements could have been seen. I say if you start with good stock. Maintain genetic diversity with a large enough pool of stock. And aggressively cull for defects or undesired traits. You can maintain a pure line that is as "healthy" as any line of hybrids, that will always breed true. Im absolutely not saying any of this pertains to you. But is often the case when a pure line becomes less productive or shows unhealthy traits.....
You pick and choose. That tends to be the position of SOP breeders,and corvette owners. Every breed is the result of hybridization. The SOP,changes as each breeder and judge interpretes the guidelines differently. You can see the effects of hybrid Vigor In any flock,in birds of the same breed. It has been demonstrated that birds tend to fall into line "regionally" breeding with birds outside of the bubble as you say introduces new blood. This isn't always due to inbreeding. Different regions have their own environmental pressures which causes differences in the way the birds are made up. Breeding like or unlike will result in hybrid vigor. There are published studies on it.I believe they used leghorns. And I agree. Dave has beautiful birds!!

Back
Top Bottom