Coroplast better than plywood

informative

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Check this video out - best to just skip ahead to like 1:40 to get a look at the coop design. He designed it as a "human tent" shelter but as soon as I saw it I said that's it the perfect nesting coop material. Light weight (plywood I find is too heavy), waterproof, sun resistant, flexible, moldable, drillable, brightly colored, and easily cleaned.

The big question becomes where is the best place to find this Coroplast corrugated signboard material? I'm in Texas and the 4' X 8' sheets it comes premade into are expensive to ship so I am searching for a local supplier to pickup as opposed to shipping the stuff. Heck I could see building large temporary sheds out of ten 4x8 sheets just attach pair of 8 foot sheets into 16' x 4 foot lengths and then attach four or five of those into a large 16' or 20' arch and you have a huge durable shed, barn or greenhouse type shelter (just add front and back doors) for not a lot of dough. Costs vary a lot depending on how much re-sellers are trying to gouge so it may wind up being cheaper to order 500 sheets from China and find someone else locally to split the order with or something.

Last edited:
seems to me that a raccoon or a dog would rip through that stuff in a heartbeat. But I could be wrong. Not to mention that it would blow away at the first storm.

Nice concept but not very practical I think unless with major modifications.

It doesn't strike me as being resistant to predation. It appears to be corrugated cardboard made from plastic. I doubt it would keep predators such as raccoons, dogs, and coyotes out.

Chris

well I will let you know how it goes - in my yard our most common threat is neighborhood cats and I just don't see them shredding the plastic. The tractor is already heavy enough that I figured this on top for the nesting/roosting shade area might be ideal because of how light it is. I could paint over it to increase strength or might upgrade to 6mm instead of 4mm haven't decided yet.

Back
Top Bottom