Coturnix colour identification

Xitania

Hatching
May 13, 2024
Hi all, I need some help to identify the colours of some of my quails.

I know most of them but I am still knew to quails and just want to be sure what coloration they have :)

I am pretty sure that the 2 ladies in the 2nd picture are a Tibetan (right) and a Rosetta (left) but I stand to be corrected.

Attachments

• 436163644_1440219993532733_3316634449417085405_n.jpg
    436163644_1440219993532733_3316634449417085405_n.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 27
  • 442409510_805175247855194_2888330900220652143_n.jpg
    442409510_805175247855194_2888330900220652143_n.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 436448354_1192151735475334_4873168837163560518_n.jpg
    436448354_1192151735475334_4873168837163560518_n.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 4
You can tell Rosetta from Tibetan by their feet. Tibetan chicks will have dark toes or even completely dark feet. This fades some as they grow, but you can still see it if you look.

The first pic is a silver, the third has two silvers and what looks like a rosetta or grau fee pied.

You can tell Rosetta from Tibetan by their feet. Tibetan chicks will have dark toes or even completely dark feet. This fades some as they grow, but you can still see it if you look.

The first pic is a silver, the third has two silvers and what looks like a rosetta or grau fee pied.
Ah wow ok thanks for that, I thought you distinguish a Tibetan by having the highlighter line in the center of their feathers absent while the Rosetta has it, but I will definitely check out their feet now :)

Is there a different classification of the 2 Silver? I couldnt pinpoint the colour of the beige one and thought she is a Sparkly Ginger or Cinnamon.
And what is the exact difference to identify a Pied or Tuxedo?

I'm no expert on colours. I know the ones that I've raised, but there are so many colours with new ones coming along all the time.

That being said, the silvers that I'm familiar with come from the Schofield Silver Collection. There is a lot of range in that collection because it's not a good idea to breed silver to silver. That way leads to eggs that never develop, quit during development, or hatch into poor, blind little albinos that have to be culled. Not to say that you won't get some healthy ones, but you get a lot of issue.

Tuxedo is a type of pied. Pied is a general term for random white markings. Quail have specific genes for white in certain locations, such as tuxedo, white wings, bibs, etc. When there are random splotches I call them pied. If the spots are specific, I'll say tuxedo, white wing, or bibbed.

I'm no expert on colours. I know the ones that I've raised, but there are so many colours with new ones coming along all the time.

That being said, the silvers that I'm familiar with come from the Schofield Silver Collection. There is a lot of range in that collection because it's not a good idea to breed silver to silver. That way leads to eggs that never develop, quit during development, or hatch into poor, blind little albinos that have to be culled. Not to say that you won't get some healthy ones, but you get a lot of issue.

Tuxedo is a type of pied. Pied is a general term for random white markings. Quail have specific genes for white in certain locations, such as tuxedo, white wings, bibs, etc. When there are random splotches I call them pied. If the spots are specific, I'll say tuxedo, white wing, or bibbed.
Thats good to know! My males are Pharaoh, Rosetta and a Rosetta Tuxedo so there definitely wont be silver to silver breeding as those are all females.
Really appreciate your help on my query :)

I'm still trying to figure out this color thing too! Could the first bird be something like a scarlet fee (very possible something in the silver family too!) as it looks more red than gray, I think that's what this guy is:

IMGP6701.jpeg

But I'm not sure I have this figured out yet. As far as Rosetta/Tibetan, I'm really trying to tell the difference, but I believe you are both right (dark feet and feather shafts=Tibetan, Light(ish)=Rosetta) but is there a phenotypical difference? Then you throw in the fee and roux genes and I have no idea what they are supposed to look like! It is most certainly interesting though!

Also, on the white thing, there are two major genes for white bird/markings. The English/spotted white is all white in the homozygous form and produces a tuxedo with whatever base color in heterozygous. The white wing pied looks very similar to a tuxedo in homozygous form and in hetero produces a whatever colored bird with varying degrees of white/white spotting especially on the chest. Nice straight forward genes! You also probably don’t have a cinnamon or ginger bird unless you specifically ordered them from thieving otter farms, both are recent mutations and not yet widely distributed, though available from select breeders.

Also, on the white thing, there are two major genes for white bird/markings. The English/spotted white is all white in the homozygous form and produces a tuxedo with whatever base color in heterozygous. The white wing pied looks very similar to a tuxedo in homozygous form and in hetero produces a whatever colored bird with varying degrees of white/white spotting especially on the chest. Nice straight forward genes! You also probably don’t have a cinnamon or ginger bird unless you specifically ordered them from thieving otter farms, both are recent mutations and not yet widely distributed, though available from select breeders.
Hmm I see makes sense. Here in my country colors barely mean anything. People breed whatever they have and as long as they get a nice one out of it they are happy. Most are not even aware of the names of the different colorations and the few that do only know the basics like pied and wild. That is why I would like to get a bit more into it and understand it, but like you said it is most likely not a cinnamon or ginger in that case because we cannot import quails anymore due to changes in laws.

Back
Top Bottom