Coturnix Quail Chicks Progressive Paralysis Disease (AE? Vitamin E Deficiency?) Spreading through hatch of 18 Chicks!

Chichichabcheb

Hatching
Sep 6, 2021
If anyone has experienced this or can give me some advice on how to help my chicks pull through, any thoughts are appreciated! I really want to give them the best chance to survive this illness.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Coturnix Quail chicks, hatched on August 23th, 2021. (3 weeks old) Purchased from Breezy Bird Farms in Manitoba.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Six chicks (currently 2 have passed from the illness) developed progressive paralysis of their legs, showing as hyperextension of the legs and feet and the complete inability to stand, walk, or eat on their own, they shake their heads back and forth ever 4-5 seconds and have a continuous subtle tumour in their legs that can be felt while holding them (like a soft buzzing continuously). They tend to lie on their sides and occasionally try to stand by scrambling their legs against the bedding, however if helped upright they immediately topple over onto their side again. I also noticed the chicks feel warmer to the touch overall than the currently healthy chicks.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

The first chick to displayed symptoms at 5 days old, it survived 2 days after the onset, and even with being hand fed he/she passed away. On the first day of symptoms, all chicks were dosed with veterinary grade Vitamin E and Selenium for poultry, and have been dosed daily since following the directions from proper dosage.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Three days after the first chick shows signs another chick became ill, exact same symptoms, this chick also passed within a day of the onset. The third chick to become ill is still alive but is completely paralyzed and is being hand fed with a syringe to keep them going. No signs of improvement yet. Three more chicks are now progressing toward complete paralysis.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Chicks seem to be in good physical condition, no external injuries, legs seem to have poor circulation on the birds that are sick, the skin very pale compared to healthy chicks.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No known cause, that I can determine on my part. Incubation went well, the hatch rate was 78% for shipped eggs. I'm suspecting the parent birds were not in good condition. The breeder would not answer my question if the parent birds were vaccinated for AE, so possible vertical transmission. Also, possibly Vitamin E deficiency.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

The sick birds cannot eat or drink on their own unless they are held directly above food or the water nipple, or fed with a syringe.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop is runnier in sick chicks, but they are also eating a more moist diet due to hand feeding.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

From the first signs of illness in the first chick, all chick were dosed with additional Vitamin E and Selenium as well as a general multivitamin for poultry that was given since hatch day.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I was hoping the vitamin E and Selenium would help the chicks recover and prevent more illness but it looks like the chicks may have something for serious than a vitamin E deficiency. My cousin who is a veterinary student, looked at the videos I recorded of the sick chicks and thought it could be Avian Encephalomyelitis through vertical transmission as the chicks did not display the typical backing up or head twisting typical with vitamin E deficiency. The progression is very fast and a chick that was walking fine is the morning is suddenly unable to stand in the evening.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Chicks are being housed in a brooder indoors, Douglas fir chips as bedding and a sand bath area filled with Play Sand grade sand. Heat lamp is on one end of the brooder for the chicks so there is a warmer and cooler end. Chicks are being fed hardboiled mashed chicken eggs, and a 26% protein starter crumble (non GMO, no antibiotics). Also, crushed mealworms and black soldier fly larvae (freeze dried), some fresh veggies (broccoli florets), small amounts of probiotic yogurt.

Attachments

• tempImagemxudQi.png
    tempImagemxudQi.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I had this identical issue with a double silver hen. Double silvers are known to have issues, I had ordered hatching eggs, and overall had a lot of health issues, among them, 3 double silvers. They feathered slowly and were blind, but over all the 3 white babies did ok. At about 2-3 weeks, one, that turned out to be the hen, was looking wobbly one day, and by the next morning was on her side, flailing her legs occasionally to try to get up, but was unable. I immediately started vitamin e orally, and nutridrench in the water. She showed some improvement, but in the event that she was able to stand, she was like a wheelbarrow with her head and chest dragging on the ground as she tried to stagger around.

I had coincidentally changed their food about a week after this all started, because I could no longer get what I had been feeding. The new food gave her a fresh breath of life, and within a few days she was up and walking. She was still a bit unsteady, but she lived for probably 6-7 months after that and never relapsed, I stopped all supplementation slowly, about 2 weeks after she was up and about, and she was fine.

I ended up culling her because she somehow broke her beak in a difficult manner (blind birds peck everything constantly) and it kept chipping away despite my best efforts.

If I were to guess, I’d say that the person you got them from had poor nutrition for the parents, and/or too much inbreeding. I think this situation can cause them to be unable to metabolize food correctly, and some nutrients aren’t produced or absorbed properly. I compared the foods and nothing stood out as a significant difference, but I’ve been working on a healthy line of double silvers for a year now, and have not had another one go lame like that, I assume the food has what they’re lacking, or the others didn’t have the genetic or parental element that caused the problem.

If you can get it where you are, I would recommend Hudson feeds game bird pellets, (they have quail and pheasant feed, but it’s not as good IMO). I order it through chewy. I got my previous feed on amazon and they stopped carrying it, so I switched to Hudson thru chewy. I changed my regular birds to a different feed from a local mill, but I always kept the blind group on Hudson. I’ve now swapped all birds to Hudson, because I feel like they just had an overall better look, and stronger eggs on it previously. I sent someone I know eggs, and they had an ok hatch rate, but I plan to send them new eggs once everyone is on hudson. It’s my hope that the eggs will hold up better to the stress of shipping.

I suggest stop feeding all the extra stuff and ONLY feed the 28% protein crumble feed.

You are not doing these brand new chicks any favors by offering all that extra stuff and it is quite possible that is the problem.

I had this identical issue with a double silver hen. Double silvers are known to have issues, I had ordered hatching eggs, and overall had a lot of health issues, among them, 3 double silvers. They feathered slowly and were blind, but over all the 3 white babies did ok. At about 2-3 weeks, one, that turned out to be the hen, was looking wobbly one day, and by the next morning was on her side, flailing her legs occasionally to try to get up, but was unable. I immediately started vitamin e orally, and nutridrench in the water. She showed some improvement, but in the event that she was able to stand, she was like a wheelbarrow with her head and chest dragging on the ground as she tried to stagger around.

I had coincidentally changed their food about a week after this all started, because I could no longer get what I had been feeding. The new food gave her a fresh breath of life, and within a few days she was up and walking. She was still a bit unsteady, but she lived for probably 6-7 months after that and never relapsed, I stopped all supplementation slowly, about 2 weeks after she was up and about, and she was fine.

I ended up culling her because she somehow broke her beak in a difficult manner (blind birds peck everything constantly) and it kept chipping away despite my best efforts.

If I were to guess, I’d say that the person you got them from had poor nutrition for the parents, and/or too much inbreeding. I think this situation can cause them to be unable to metabolize food correctly, and some nutrients aren’t produced or absorbed properly. I compared the foods and nothing stood out as a significant difference, but I’ve been working on a healthy line of double silvers for a year now, and have not had another one go lame like that, I assume the food has what they’re lacking, or the others didn’t have the genetic or parental element that caused the problem.

If you can get it where you are, I would recommend Hudson feeds game bird pellets, (they have quail and pheasant feed, but it’s not as good IMO). I order it through chewy. I got my previous feed on amazon and they stopped carrying it, so I switched to Hudson thru chewy. I changed my regular birds to a different feed from a local mill, but I always kept the blind group on Hudson. I’ve now swapped all birds to Hudson, because I feel like they just had an overall better look, and stronger eggs on it previously. I sent someone I know eggs, and they had an ok hatch rate, but I plan to send them new eggs once everyone is on hudson. It’s my hope that the eggs will hold up better to the stress of shipping.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I do have two double silvers that hatched out though surprisingly they seem to be fine just on the smaller side of compared to the rest of the chicks. I had a third Double Silver hatch with severe deformities that died almost immediately. It was missing an eye on one side and its entire head was swollen with hydrocephalus. I was surprised it even managed to hatch the poor thing was not developed correctly. The worst chicks for this deficiency illness were the three of Autumn Amber colouration, and I had one Rosetta chick die early on from the same issue. I have one Autumn Amber chick (the one in the picture) and one Golden Italian that I have managed to keep going for over a week now but they both cannot walk, or eat or drink on their own still. My mother and grandmother have been diligently feeding the two sick birds and helping them gain strength in their legs. They seem to have zero coordination still and do not try to put any weight on their legs if you stand them upright. They immediately flop right over again and cycle their legs trying to right themselves before giving up. We are going to wait it out for sick chicks and see if they can recover eventually. I'm going to be making them little chick wheelchairs so they can spend time with their flock and try working their legs.

I suggest stop feeding all the extra stuff and ONLY feed the 28% protein crumble feed.

You are not doing these brand new chicks any favors by offering all that extra stuff and it is quite possible that is the problem.
Thanks for your input! I've reduced the vitamin dosing since it seems to have had little effect on the sick birds, the other chicks are all doing very well and their feathers have come in very nicely. I'm still giving probiotics to the sick birds since they seem to get a boost from it. I only dosed the vitamins exactly as the label advised and since dosing no new chicks have developed this problem, so I think it did some good for the flock overall. The chicks are almost four weeks now so they are getting close to being full grown.

Thanks for your input! I've reduced the vitamin dosing since it seems to have had little effect on the sick birds, the other chicks are all doing very well and their feathers have come in very nicely. I'm still giving probiotics to the sick birds since they seem to get a boost from it. I only dosed the vitamins exactly as the label advised and since dosing no new chicks have developed this problem, so I think it did some good for the flock overall. The chicks are almost four weeks now so they are getting close to being full grown.
Did you stop offering all of the extra treats and start only feeding the complete balanced high protein feed?

I'm feeding them high protein feed and hardboiled egg still. I do also offer freeze dried mealworms because the only feed I have access to on the island near where I live is 26% protein and I know the ideal is 28%.

Back
Top Bottom