Mitchellsss1

Hatching
Jun 9, 2023
We have a hen that had chicks recently we started noticing that she would stay in the shed more and not walk around in the yard as much. She started limping and we initially thought she had sprained or broken a bone.
Yet the next day she developed blisters around her toes. They were filled with a lime green liquid. I looked into blisters online and it was advised not to pop them so we didn't. Instead we treated them with cephalexin, an antibiotic after a week on a low dose only one of three blisters remained the rest deflated and then disappeared and she seemed to be putting for weight on her leg, so we stopped the antibiotic. Yet when we did the blister that remained filled with liquid again so we gave her a slightly higher dose for 3 more days it then disappeared but she was still limping.

I inspected her leg again and it seems that now it paralyzed. It is stiff but still warm like her body yet she can't seem to move it. I looked into it and Mark's disease came up as a possibility which is frightening because she could have exposed the rest of our chickens to it if it is that. After that incident she developed diarrhea it had a yellowish hue my mom gave her amprolium for three days thinking it was coccidiosis. Which now it seems that maybe it did help as her poop is no longer yellow, she still had some diarrhea but it isn't as watery anymore and she had done two more solid poops.

The paralysis has not progressed to anywhere aside from her already affected left leg. It's been a month already I check her skin and it is not bumpy her eyes are normal. She still gets up on the couch to sleep on her own. I'm going to give her vitamins now to see if that maybe changes the paralysis any. She is a year and a half old. Her toes are not curled they are streached out. I'm not too familiar with Marek's disease so I am not sure if it is obvious that this is what is afflicting her. I need help maybe if someone has expierence diagnosing it. We don't have any avian vets near us and get get a proper test done I don't want to misdiagnose something that can be treated. So does this sound like mareks to anyone?? Or a vitamin deficiency??

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the feet when they had green blisters?
Green tinged skin is often due to bruising, possibly infection. Could she have broken the leg/foot?

A video of her movements may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos of the feet when they had green blisters?
Green tinged skin is often due to bruising, possibly infection. Could she have broken the leg/foot?

A video of her movements may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Unfortunately I don't have any pictured of when it was blistered. It did not look greenish in the bruise way more like a bright lime green, we had assumed it to be an infection hence the cephalexin. There could still be a possibility of it being broken, if it is would she still be able to move her toes? She has no movement from her knee joint down. But it seems like the femur and hip joint still moves. I can possible record the movement tomorrow.

Too many variables to know if a break cause the immobility of the feet/leg.

Marek's disease can present in a lot of ways, but I never seen anyone report bright green lesions/infection/blisters on the toes being caused by Marek's.

What was the weather like when you notice the blistering?

Too many variables to know if a break cause the immobility of the feet/leg.

Marek's disease can present in a lot of ways, but I never seen anyone report bright green lesions/infection/blisters on the toes being caused by Marek's.

What was the weather like when you notice the blistering?
It was raining and humid. It's late spring early summer here so it was warm out.

We have a hen that had chicks recently we started noticing that she would stay in the shed more and not walk around in the yard as much. She started limping and we initially thought she had sprained or broken a bone.
Yet the next day she developed blisters around her toes. They were filled with a lime green liquid. I looked into blisters online and it was advised not to pop them so we didn't. Instead we treated them with cephalexin, an antibiotic after a week on a low dose only one of three blisters remained the rest deflated and then disappeared and she seemed to be putting for weight on her leg, so we stopped the antibiotic. Yet when we did the blister that remained filled with liquid again so we gave her a slightly higher dose for 3 more days it then disappeared but she was still limping.

I inspected her leg again and it seems that now it paralyzed. It is stiff but still warm like her body yet she can't seem to move it. I looked into it and Mark's disease came up as a possibility which is frightening because she could have exposed the rest of our chickens to it if it is that. After that incident she developed diarrhea it had a yellowish hue my mom gave her amprolium for three days thinking it was coccidiosis. Which now it seems that maybe it did help as her poop is no longer yellow, she still had some diarrhea but it isn't as watery anymore and she had done two more solid poops.

The paralysis has not progressed to anywhere aside from her already affected left leg. It's been a month already I check her skin and it is not bumpy her eyes are normal. She still gets up on the couch to sleep on her own. I'm going to give her vitamins now to see if that maybe changes the paralysis any. She is a year and a half old. Her toes are not curled they are streached out. I'm not too familiar with Marek's disease so I am not sure if it is obvious that this is what is afflicting her. I need help maybe if someone has expierence diagnosing it. We don't have any avian vets near us and get get a proper test done I don't want to misdiagnose something that can be treated. So does this sound like mareks to anyone?? Or a vitamin deficiency??
I have noticed that her crop also feels watery.

Could a poisonous critter have bitten her? With some the victim gets blisters due to the mere contact. Or do you have other poisonous animals where you live, such as spiders or snakes?

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/specia...antharidin-poisoning-blister-beetle-poisoning

https://www.poison.org/articles/blister-beetles-do-not-touch-194
I looked into the blisters these beetles cause and some of them look a lot like the ones she had on her toes, but I couldn't find anything on it causing paralysis. We do have a lot of insects and some of them are poisonous. I have never had a chicken that has been poisoned, do her symptoms also correlate? The blisters are now gone she has a little colored patch left but no liquid. How is poisoning usually treated in chickens?

I don't know about possible correlation of symptoms such as paralysis etc. with these critters as all I ever had to treat a chicken for was bee and wasp stings or broken bones and flesh wounds.

Just once in more than 20 years my chicks poisoned themselves by eating creeping buttercup/crowfoot (it was like a frenzy!) but they survived after 5 days of treating them with milk thistle extract to help their liver recover. They were already showing yellow skin and eyes, just swaying on wobbly feet like paralized.

Generally, the treatment of poisonings would differ depending on the kind of poison and the organs or nerve system affected.
If something was ingested, you would treat by administering copious amounts of carcoal to prevent further uptake and milk thistle for liver protection.

Maybe call a vet clinic to ask about possible further treatment?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom