Coturnix Quail hatched her own eggs

I only have about 5 of them in there and that is basicly the whole pen but I am going to improve it because they ate all the grass.One of mine became broody but the one night it rained and then she quit she set for 13 days her eggs would have hatched monday. It is very important to me that they have thier natural habitat with logs an rocks, grass etc.

what is themail material you're using for the roof?

Who says broodiness has been breed out of quail? I know that's what "they say" but who is they and where's their credentials?
Seems like if quail have been selectively bred for 1000's of years the breeders would have produced a quail with the size & temperment of a Cornish X instead of these tiny wild flighty birds we have today.
I bet if given the proper situation & conditions any of them will go broody & hatch a clutch. The way we raise them battery style really isn't conducive to that.

I raised button quail for a while years ago. Silvers, reds and normals. They went broody very easily and the mothers were just like tiny hens with bumblebee-sized chicks. They were also aggressive and protective of the chicks. First tries were no go, but I covered the cage with plastic and wet down the sand to keep up the humidity. Worked like a charm. They can only cover about 6 eggs.

bro i have 1 male and 2 female. I am thinking to add more female to my cortunix quail flock. Will it effect the brooding chance for the hens?

My Coturnix hatched out her own eggs in October I Colorado?? How cold can it get for new chicks with a hen??

The chicks only have to move away from the hen to feed and drink, so if she is sitting on them properly, they can handle somewhat cold weather. I'd say about 50-60 F should be okay, if sheltered well and in a dry enclosure, but mortality will likely be higher than if the temperature was around 80 F.
I have no actual experience with coturnix chicks, though. But I do have buttons that hatch their own chicks, and they live outside(in an old, unheated, un-isolated barn).
Do post a few pics of the family and their home - I'm quite curious as to what kind of environment can make a cot go broody :)

Back
Top Bottom