Coughing goats?

neenerbutt92

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
I have 6 goats, 5 are mine the other is a borrowed buck. Well they have been coughing for awhile (a little before we got the buck) but I thought it was from the hay they were eating, til they started getting runny noses too and it's not going away. I would post on BYH but for some reason it doesn't let me log into my account.

There's a few things it could be ranging from allergies to pnuemonia to lung worm.

Do any have temperatures? Are they acting off at all? Have you checked their eyelids against the FAMACHA chart? Done a fecal lately? Are any of them loosing condition?

Their pen isn't dusty, they're appetites are "normal". I haven't checked their temp. yet. They were acting a little off this morning when I fed them, eating normal but just not acting themselves. I did check their eyelids they appear to be a good color, I just wormed them about a week or two ago, twice actually. Haven't done a fecal.

What do you mean by worming them twice? Did you worm them once and then again 10ish days later? What wormer did you use? Do you worm on a schedule or just as necessary?

I'd suggest taking some temperatures - that'd be a good indicator if it's something like pnuemonia.

Yea I wormed them once then like a week or so later cause one of my does look fat with them but it turns out she's pregnant with a sheep, don't know how long that will last. But I used two different things, safe-guard for goats and then ivermec. I worm when necessary. What is the normal temp for a goat?

Yep, goats can cross with sheep.

Last time I had a coughing goat, it was lungworm. Got a very broad wormer and it cleared up.
smile.png

Our lambs would cough even with stomach worms. Normal temp is 102. Make sure you take it at the same time every day because it is usually one degree lower in the morning than in afternoon.

Illia- did they have runny noses as well? I've wormed them twice, could the de-wormer not be working? I couldn't find the butt thermometer so I'll look again tomorrow. I'll give them a shot of antibiotic and maybe de-worm them again? Another question, could my goat give birth to a live lamb/kid, has this ever happened?

Back
Top Bottom