Coughing /sneezing bubbles in eyes WITH VIDEO

NightingaleJen

Crowing
12 Years
May 25, 2011
From Motown to Rural Ohio
Just this morning my Buckeye hen began doing this. She had just been squawking away. What is going on?!

1) What type of bird , age and weight
13 month old Buckeye hen, about five pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Coughing/sneezing, bubbles in eyes
Odd breathing

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Perhaps fifteen minutes

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Not sure, but was fine yesterday with her normal flock raiser and water

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Don't know today, has been normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Sympathy, reassurance, about to move her into solitary with plain food and water

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
If we can take care of her here, that would be best. No poultry vets that I know of here.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Big well-ventilated coop, pine shaving bedding, giant run, free ranging in the afternoons

Well, now she has stopped completely and is ensconced in her favorite nest box. Breathing sounds fine. Her eyes look dilated, but it is quite overcast.

Did she just get herself into trouble somehow?

BTW, her name is Mini. She is a little hen but had a gigantic personality! She is a favorite around here.

I've been standing here for a few minutes and her breathing is inaudible now.

20230926_093556.jpg

https://www.chickenfans.com/foamy-bubble-eye/
Foamy eye or bubble eye is a symptom of an underlying disease. The frothy bubbles in the corner of the watery eye result from excessive tearing. Usually, it indicates upper respiratory infections, but it can also be another type of eye infection or just an eye injury.
Respiratory infections causing Bubble Eye
When there are other symptoms present like
coughing, sneezing, gaping,
nasal discharge and pus,
gurgling sounds,
facial swelling,
chances are the bird is suffering from a respiratory infection.

So just one more (God willing) update on Mini, who laid a lovely egg and then bowled her way between two Australorps to get some mash before being chased off by another bird (I may put a saddle on her until those feathers grow back in...) and taking her wrath out on a couple of Plymouth Rocks. Of course I will keep a close eye on her, but so thinking she must have gotten into something somehow (again).

Back
Top Bottom