Silkie chicken listless with eyes shut, advice please?

Shelleymarieg

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2021
Hi,

Looking for some advice to identify what could be causing my silkie to look so unwell. She had a stint of illness back in August and recovered after being wormed and given Tylan.

I’ve checked her over and no lice or mites that I can see. I’ve felt her abdomen and nothing unusual there. Physically she appears to look the same, no ailments. She is having a hard moult at the moment.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Silkie, 3 years old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is listless, sat down sleeping a lot, eyes shut, when open they’re only half open, she has the odd peck at food if infront of her. She also seems to peck aimlessly like she can’t see where to peck. She’s ducks and wobbles her head and walks backwards now and again. She is moulting at the moment.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She’s got progressively worse over the past 2 weeks or so. I brought her inside on Sunday when she stopped opening her eyes.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing to my knowledge
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Was quite thirsty at times, drinking a fair bit but now intermittent. Not eating as much with eyes closed.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
A mix of normal and runny.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Tylan (now on day 3), wormer (now on day 6)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Looking for advice as to what it could be to treat as much as what is within my means to do so

Please can someone help? Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom