Could someone pls list what traits to look for in sexing a chick

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I've been reading many threads and I'm more confused than ever. What are the traits that pinpoint whether a chick is a roo or a pullet? I have week old chicks and I know it's too soon to tell, but I need to figure out what they are as soon as possible. What do I look for as they mature?

Thx

The girls are usually more shy/timid and the boys are usually your favorite ones because they let you hold them much more willingly and mine would fall asleep in my hand while i scratched his neck. The boys are coming to check you out with the neck stretched way out and curious, while the girls stay away. Does that describe anyone you know?

Last edited:
u can see in their hole in the behind if u roll it open a bit.... that the male will have one little pimple looking thingy and the girls will have 2 little pimple looking thingys together making a small slit.... worked for me to sex mine although I got 1 out of 22 wrong LOL

Here try this site! I printed it out and have it in with my incubation records!
http://www.coastgrocery.com/osc/rawhideexerhides50packmunchysticks-p-1470.html
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses! I tried that hat thing and there were definitely two different reactions. The one's I thought were boys (because of the lighter feathering) stood up tall. I think this may work. It was hard to do with all my chicks tho. I'm going to have to try it one chick at a time...they're moving all over the place and it's hard to watch them all at once. But the two EE chicks I had that I was pretty sure were roos both stood up tall and did that chirping! What a cool and easy way to sex chicks!!!

I just got home from getting 11 more chicks. It looked like all 3 of the Barred Rock chicks I got stood up tall when I did the hat thing.
hmm.png
Go figure!

I'm open for more suggestions, if anyone knows of anymore ways to tell. I read something about thicker legs, different toe and leg length on each sex, pointy feathers on roos?? Any info on those things?

Last edited:
u can see in their hole in the behind if u roll it open a bit.... that the male will have one little pimple looking thingy and the girls will have 2 little pimple looking thingys together making a small slit.... worked for me to sex mine although I got 1 out of 22 wrong LOL

Hmmmmm.....I have never heard of this before so I decided to try it. I get all of my 5 day old or so little babies and flip them over and look. Here is what I found out. I either have all girls, all boys, this doesn't work, or I have no clue what chicken genitalia should look like. The only thing I am 100% sure of is this, I have 7 very angry chicklets.​

Back
Top Bottom