Could this be a Rooster?

Wow thank you so much @Melabella that is a ton of awesome information. This is all so new to us, we are flying by the seat of our pants and learning as we go!
I will defiantly keep a close eye on the roo, I hadn't even thought of their behavior. I have a 3 year old daughter who spends her days with the chickens so will make sure to keep a close eye on him.
We got them through a hatchery. In our readings they aren't known to be too broody. I can't wait to get out first eggs!
Thanks again for all of that information. So helpful!

I only know because I lived it...lol. I too am STILL flying by the seat of my pants, but truly every time I hit a bump in the road I would come up to the house, and come on to this site and ask away. do you have any other animals? I work with horses and I am finding that the best way to learn also it by observing... you will know if you have an issue, believe me. I don't mean to scare you, just keep doing as you are.. but wanted you to have a heads up. One more thing I wanted to mention,, the very first thing I noticed he would do is when I turned my back... he would follow me. I didn't think anything of it at first, but then following became fast walking, became running, became a flogging from behind. Little rascal. He was beautiful... just like your guy.. but turned out a danger. The final straw was when I was doing dishes in my kitchen and out my window I saw my 11 year old running frantically, with him on her heels, flying up and flogging her. He was in jail that night and gone the next morning. Mess with me, fine.. Don't mess with my baby girl! lol....Here is a photo of the dirty rat...

Will this type of behavior begin to show once his hormones take over? lol
Fingers crossed he doesn't get nasty! I couldn't imagine having to rehome any of my chickens! But like you said... Once they become a danger to your family, and little ones especially, it's no longer fun!

Will this type of behavior begin to show once his hormones take over? lol
Fingers crossed he doesn't get nasty! I couldn't imagine having to rehome any of my chickens! But like you said... Once they become a danger to your family, and little ones especially, it's no longer fun!
In my instance the behavior started around 6 months old, and by 8 months it had become dangerous. I never wanted a roo, but if you intend to free range.. I feel it is essential. Both of the roos have taught me just how good it is to have a GOOD roo. I kept the first roo longer than I should have because he was an excellent protector. I had seen him run off a stray dog, but a breeder put it to me this way... Would you keep a viscous, human aggressive dog? Surely not... it's no different with a roo. This is a trait passed on as well. Any chicks from that roo would most likely be human aggressive as well. My respectful roo is just as fierce of a protector, dotes on his girls, and accepts me as boss. Its a great partnership!

MB

welcome-byc.gif

How old is the bird in question?

Thanks. At that age, yep, it's a boy. I always ask, because I couldn't see sex feathers well and if the bird was 5 months, the answer would be different!

Back
Top Bottom