Could this be EYP? Or just a membrane egg? Someone please advise?

AmberRose23

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
Have a 4 1/2 month GC who quit laying 3 or 4 days ago but regularly tried to lay in hee usual spot. I noticed yesterday she was fluffed up and tail down and her butt was pulsating so we looked up egg bound and started doing epsom salt baths. We all put lube in a dropper up her as well and did massages. I never felt an egg though. Later she passed two eggy poos. One she actually ate. Does she have periontitis? She seemed fine afterwards, joined the flock, happy girl. Anything I should do next? First time chicken owner!

Attachments

• IMG_9387.png
    IMG_9387.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9386.png
    IMG_9386.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9388.png
    IMG_9388.png
    2 MB · Views: 3
I have something circled in one of your photos below. Can you get a clear photo of that?
Was it a chunk of something, rubbery, hard or just liquid?

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?
How are you housing your birds - how much space, how many birds (pullets, hens, cockerels, roosters)?

I'd start with giving her Extra Calcium daily for a week. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

1682965041334.jpeg

I have something circled in one of your photos below. Can you get a clear photo of that?
Was it a chunk of something, rubbery, hard or just liquid?

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide oyster shell free choice?
How are you housing your birds - how much space, how many birds (pullets, hens, cockerels, roosters)?

I'd start with giving her Extra Calcium daily for a week. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

View attachment 3489251
Thank you for responding, this was kind of solid, there a membrane. I was at work, this is according to my husband. She ate that part while I was watching the video he took of this. I give them wheat bread, corn tortillas, flock party garden party, layer feed, meal worms and soldier flies. They eat this pomegranate bush in my garden when they can get to it. There are 4 hens in a 5x5 coop with a rooster. There 7 other little chickens that graze with them on an acre but they don’t sleep with them, they still stay in the house with us. There are 6 roosters in that group that are maybe 2 1/2 months old. Still trying to figure out what to do with them 😕 1 bantam pullet. They mostly just cruise around and dig holes and play. They have a giant bowl of oyster shell, they get a a piece of wheat bread a day between all of them, some meal worms, they got a Turkey neck last week, a few scrambled eggs a week, they ate a a few broken eggs last week shell and all. She went to her usual spot today to try to sit and nothing happened so I was wondering should I try the Epsom salt bath and lube again? I will definitely get some vitamin D and calcium citrate for her this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom