Could you please identify the breed (and sex?) of this chicken?

jskillings

Hatching
9 Years
May 8, 2010
The chicken is about 7 weeks old...It clearly didn't match all the other ones in the bin at the store, so we felt sorry for it and took it home...Now we have no idea what it is. We are even starting to fear it may be a rooster because of its angular body and pointy, upright tail (in the photo it is trying to keep its balance and the tail isn't upright...but it usually is pointing up.)

We really hope it isn't a rooster because we live in the suburbs and it is our son's chicken...if it's a rooster, we're going to have to send it to chicken heaven because of the crowing...
sad.png
So any pointers on the breed would be helpful, because we'll use that information to try and figure out the gender.

Thank you.

Edited- Wow, two responses already! This site is more active than any other forum site I've been on...Thank you!
I'm posting two more photos of the chicken at two weeks old...I didn't think it looked like a partridge rock chick because the stripes on her feathers go straight across...but obviously we don't know.

(seven weeks old)
56905_mystie.png

(two weeks old)
56905_two-weeks.png

56905_two-weeks-standing.png

Last edited:
I was hoping for Black-Sexlink as Icw suggested, but it seems the general consensus is Partridge Rock. I'll post some more photos under this thread in a few weeks and hopefully she'll be easier to identify.

I knew the internets were awesome, but the fact that I can post of photo of a chicken and altruistic people are happy to help identify it just makes it more awesomer.

I don't know anything about PR's but s/he does not look like a BSL to me. I have several of those, and the coloring is way off from a 2 week old on up.

Good luck on being a pullet. Might want to add "Partridge Rock??" in the subject and then those who deal with them regularly might be able to pick up on the subtle differences between the sexes, and verify the breed.

Back
Top Bottom