Covered runs/yards?

nconley11

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
New chicken mommy! How common is it to have covered chicken runs? Our run is about 25x35 ft. I've only had the chickens for the winter so I'm getting really excited for the summer. I know how much they like to be outside when it's nice out now, that I'm dreading locking them in at night in the summer. I'm debating whether or not to revamp the run to cover it so I can leave them out all night. Thoughts?

"covered" can mean different things to different folks -- are you talking about covering it with wire for security or covering it with a roof for weather protection/shade?
As far as a wire cover of the top of the run, I've always had the top of my run covered to complete the enclosure - not just for the evening hours, but because it prevents entry by aerial predators during the day.

Last edited:
Yes I mainly mean netting or wire. I could probably post a pic tomorrow. I want to add an awning over their door to give them some rain cover in their run too.

Yes I mainly mean netting or wire. I could probably post a pic tomorrow. I want to add an awning over their door to give them some rain cover in their run too.

I would definitely add wire to the top at least to help protect them.
Depending on how your run is facing and the way the rain falls etc a door could be helpful! :) mine is on the opposite side of how the rain typically falls so I dont have to worry about it too much. But the other side I have a door I can open into my garden if I feel like having them around and I have a cover I put on for the rain.

To the people with uncovered runs; do you have problems with predators? Im in ohio. We do have red tailed hawks in the area. It seems like a full grown chicken would be awfully big for a hawk but what do i know.

To the people with uncovered runs; do you have problems with predators? Im in ohio. We do have red tailed hawks in the area. It seems like a full grown chicken would be awfully big for a hawk but what do i know.
They may not carry them away, but they can surely kill them.

Why I covered my run with mesh:

That's a good looking run
smile.png
how many chickens do have in there?
None at the moment ... Haven't had chickens since I was a kid but 18 in about a week ! My build is a Greenhouse /coop / run so I've been working on this project since Aug of last year and I know from past experience what a chore they can be so I took my time tried to think of every potential problem that could arise , every convenience that was feasible and what would work best for the end result we were looking for which in our case is chicken manure enhanced compost ! The reason we are doing a deep letter run . At the moment the run is filled with about 12 in of shredded leaves.

The base boards have wire buried and turned out about 16 inches ... used the deer fence to cover the top and 3 hot wires along the bottom ! YES I have every manner of chicken eaten predator known to man around here and I'd rather start prepared then run around after the fact fixing problems ! Something coming around trying to eat a chicken is not a matter of IF but WHEN !!!

Want flock maintenance to be something my daughter enjoys and not a huge hassle and heartbreak AND with any livestock venture I figure I owe it to the animals to create the best and safest environment possible !

Our run is covered with a metal roof. Originally I hadn't planed on a solid roof but Hubs had some leftover barn siding we used. With our wet winters and springs, i'm glad it worked out, it allows the chickens to be out in any type of weather.

Back
Top Bottom