Covid-panic-induced chicken keeping?

I'll admit that my family got chicks for the first time as a way to keep busy during covid, but we did weeks of reaserch and built a brooder and a coop and understand that we're in it for the long haul.

We won't hold that against you, lol! Welcome to the wonderful world of chickening! :frow We were all beginners once. ... wait, what am I saying??? I'm still learning and always will be! 🐣🐤🐔 The good folks here are happy to help. Be sure to introduce yourself in the New Members section!

We had been toying with the idea of getting a small flock for a couple years now, but COVID definitely moved it up on the agenda. We have about 2 acres in the country and wanted to be more self sufficient. Plus the eggs are so much tastier. Several of friends are experienced chicken mamas so I knew what I was in for. However, I wasn’t prepared to love them as much as I do! They are each my little sweeties, even Bellatrix who is aptly named and quite domineering, lol. I spend an embarrassing amount of time worrying about them or hanging out in the run. Hopefully the new COVID chicken keepers will have a new obsession & did their research.

This is happening with waterfowl and gamebirds as well it sucks for the regulars who count on hatching season every year. I procrastinated a little thinking I could get em' later... then... well you know... now I cant even get a bag of flock raiser. And people are calling me to buy my recent hatches asking if they can live in the house... a girl just wanted some crumbles and a couple cream legbar...I have neither 😒

Only reason I don't have ducks yet is because ti be healthy and happy they need very different habitat needs. I hope they have what they need in the goat run. :{ I am building a series of three or four little ponds with a pump to pull bottom pool water up to top pool and let it all casde through a series of filters with lots of fine gravel on bottoms and sides etc etc. only then will I get my duckies I can hardly wait but I don't want to get them niow and them be miserable because of inadequate water needs and poor sanitation due to hasty habitat and such.
That's really good you want to make their habitat perfect, but ducks are pretty resilient and easy to care for. They're disgusting little creatures (I love my ducks but they're gross lol) but they are happy with the most basic of shelters and a pool of water. They're easy :) but I'm glad you're thinking of the animals instead of buying in haste.

That's really good you want to make their habitat perfect, but ducks are pretty resilient and easy to care for. They're disgusting little creatures (I love my ducks but they're gross lol) but they are happy with the most basic of shelters and a pool of water. They're easy :) but I'm glad you're thinking of the animals instead of buying in haste.
I want it nice for them of course but I also want it as easy as possible for me and my wife. We both have disabilities so easy cleanup is a must and I won't tolerate smell getting out of control I don't mind it so much but it would be rude to what neighbors I have to move in and stink up the neighborhood.

Yes, there are people who have been stampeded by fear into acquiring chicks. I spoke to TSC about this when I picked up my newest chicks. Their chick shipments are sold out in just a few hours of the chicks coming in. Chicks, it appears, is the new toilet paper. TSC has extended Chick Days to the end of May because of the high demand.

I have a confession to make. I got started keeping chickens just prior to the '08 financial crash. I saw what was coming at us and decided I needed chickens for protein should the supply chains be disrupted. I was about as ignorant as most of these new Covid 19 panicked chick buyers. Beyond knowing chickens needed a coop and some feed, I was clueless. But I learned. And I got hopelessly hooked on chickens.

Somehow, most of these new chicken keepers will manage to muddle through and to learn something, too.

Thanks for being kind towards the covid chicken buyers. I suspect most will fall in love with their chicks as well. If not give it a couple weeks and we'll be seeing plenty of cheap or free hens lol

This is happening with waterfowl and gamebirds as well it sucks for the regulars who count on hatching season every year. I procrastinated a little thinking I could get em' later... then... well you know... now I cant even get a bag of flock raiser. And people are calling me to buy my recent hatches asking if they can live in the house... a girl just wanted some crumbles and a couple cream legbar...I have neither 😒
Yeah, and it seems like when they get sick of cleaning up after them they let them loose! I have been seeing all these different kinds of ducks that I have never seen before around the lake by my house!

Actually, now has been the best time for me to begin my journey into chicken keeping because I stay home all the time, and I have all day to keep a close eye on my baby chickens.
I spend hours researching chicken care, and making sure my little fluff-balls are eating, drinking, and warm enough.
I bought some last week, and two more this week. I have them separated at this point until I can be sure the new babies are healthy.
My husband and I are going to begin work on our coop. It’s actually a great distraction.
I have wanted to have a small flock for years and I have finally taken the plunge.

Attachments

• 111C30DE-2D11-46DF-AF5C-3BDF8508D999.jpeg
    111C30DE-2D11-46DF-AF5C-3BDF8508D999.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 00ED7BC8-58C4-4E4B-990C-C47D717E68E2.jpeg
    00ED7BC8-58C4-4E4B-990C-C47D717E68E2.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 4
Actually, now has been the best time for me to begin my journey into chicken keeping because I stay home all the time, and I have all day to keep a close eye on my baby chickens.
I spend hours researching chicken care, and making sure my little fluff-balls are eating, drinking, and warm enough.
I bought some last week, and two more this week. I have them separated at this point until I can be sure the new babies are healthy.
My husband and I are going to begin work on our coop. It’s actually a great distraction.
I have wanted to have a small flock for years and I have finally taken the plunge.
Research is everything before getting a new animal. That makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom