Coyotes :(

Don't be so hard on yourself, I have a neighbor who keeps his in tractors, the coyotes have ripped open his pens and ate most of his meat birds. You'll have to keep them locked up now because they will keep coming back unfortunately. They got a bunch of my favorite birds a few years ago, my husband was finally able to get a shot at them, thankfully we haven't seen them since, but I know it's just hit and miss, sorry, they seem to take the good ones.
Ditto that. Coyotes are skilled stealth killers. Please don't beat yourself up. You can't predict the first attack. I'm so sorry you lost 2 hens.
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Yes, that coyote does look skinny and hungry. It will keep returning until it is unable to get anymore dinner at your place. Have you considered electric poultry fencing? That would give them room to roam and keep them safe. I find it is very effective against most predators, with the exception of the airborne ones.

ETA - From what I understand, coyotes will case their prey at night, and return during the day for the kill.
Ditto dat too. Out here, we have packs of brazen coyotes and singles. I hear them screaming most every night. They hop fences and kill dogs and cats in subdivisions. My neighbors learned too late. 1 missing chicken, a few days passed, a few more, then the pack came in and killed the entire flock plus 8 turkeys and his chihuahua. They absolutely will case, then snatch a snack in broad daylight.

Electric fencing is a very important part of chicken and poultry keeping in my opinion. I hope that coyote gets a couple of shocks and is on his way! Also, donkeys and llamas can help protect animals from predators, especially canines!
^^^X3 on electric fence. And a burro! Those buggars will stomp the dickens out of a predator. Geese? as an alarm? Coyote will be back. Hope he doesn't need to die from lead poisoning, but it is what it is to protect your flock. Best of luck, please keep us posted.

If you are looking for a pet for your son to ride, you shouldn't get a donkey. In my experience, they are ornery, kick, and DO NOT appreciate anyone on their backs, and these donkeys were trained to be ridden! I would not take any risks around kids, especially young ones. Of course, donkeys are good for protection, but many are needed to protect a flock. Llamas are my preferred option because they provide predator protection, wool, milk if you want to give it a try, and they are very cute and smart. They require little work and will free range in small groups quite well, as long as they are fences in. Many can be trained to come when called, they will eat out of your hand, and they are extremely good at keeping away predators, like coyotes, stray dogs, foxes, etc. they also come in many different color variations and are teeny and adorable as babies! If you did go down the donkey path, I would get Zonkeys, a cross between a zebra and donkey. They are good pets, very beautiful, and look like imaginary animals! When someone comes over they will just stare and ask if they are real. Many people think they are baby zebras and the conversation goes as follows;

Person 1) look! What the HECK is that thing?

Person 2) it's a baby zebra, duh!

Person 1) but it only has stripes on its legs!

Person 2) all baby zebras are born with only stripes on their legs! You are an idiot!

Me) takes on to know one!

Lol! And by the way, baby zebras have stripes everywhere people!

You guys will get me in trouble with this cute animal thing :) no the donkey/mini horse would not be for riding but good to know.

hit.gif
Another hen lost today! No signs of coyotes on the cameras since the first night and haven't heard them at night even with the full moon this week. Flock not laying since I locked them up, I guess they are either grieving or on strike. I let them into a fenced run for an hour at the most just now so we could clean out the coop and another pile of feathers, another hen lost. Electric netting should arrive next week so won't take any more chances til then.

I think that coyotes are just trying to survive. I don't hate them, just hate when they get my animals. Electric netting is a great solution where everybody gets to keep their own skin! Good luck!
I'm not too sure about your coyotes but around here they will kill cats just because, and will also try to kill dogs, so not all about survival.

Back
Top Bottom