Cracked egg hatch along šŸ„š

BrittnyChicks

Songster
Jan 9, 2023
Hello all,
I decided to make a hatch-along for my Day 16 (accidently) cracked coturnix egg.
This is my first experience hatching cracked eggs, I have a small medical kit containing olive and coconut oil, cotton swabs and some medical tissues (not correct term I think :p) that I got from the vet, a paint brush and some water in a bowl.

(MORE UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE THREAD!)
Last update I had was the egg was still alive, the veining was still viewable, so I'm letting the veins absorb, until the chicks ready.

So update one: Its Day 17, and I've peeled off some shell that were in awkward angles, might accidently hurt the chick as it was very sharp. The baby is still moving, I can see from the membrane :) I'm still adding the tiniest bit of water regardless.

Just moisted the egg, is this how the inside should look like? :oops:
20230216_191353.jpg

Just moisted the egg, is this how the inside should look like? :oops:
View attachment 3406682
I am by far an expert and haven't seen many with just the membrane but looks pretty good to me. Are you using water or oil to moisten it? from what I have read water can penetrate the membrane and get inside and drown the chick. you can use a small amt of oil but even that you don't want to use too much. I wouldn't do anything until the chick pips itself and only then if it seems like it is trying to zip and can't.

Back
Top Bottom