Crap! High humidity

Chickrockette

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2017
Hi again everyone. So, eggies are day 10 now. The ones I can candle look great (4 olives I can't see sqat through, but 7 others that look fine). When i checked humidity a few days ago, it was at 65. I then lost humidity gauge (don't ask) and when I procured another today, it says humidity is at 81%!?!? Shoot. hoping that's wrong, and going to insert a sponge to increase evaporation surface, but I have no idea how long it's been that high. Anyone ever have an experience with it being this high for a few days before? Did you end up with any good chicks? Thank you again for all the advice thus far! :)

Well, at day 10 it shouldn't ruin your hatch, but I think you should let it run dry for at least a couple of days. Inserting a sponge at this time will make things worse, as increasing the evaporation surface will result in even higher humidity, which you want to avoid. 65% is also too high for first 10 days, and if it's been like that from the start, I'd run the incubator dry until day 18 and then raise humidity to 65% for the hatch.

Well, at day 10 it shouldn't ruin your hatch, but I think you should let it run dry for at least a couple of days. Inserting a sponge at this time will make things worse, as increasing the evaporation surface will result in even higher humidity, which you want to avoid. 65% is also too high for first 10 days, and if it's been like that from the start, I'd run the incubator dry until day 18 and then raise humidity to 65% for the hatch.
Thank you SO much, bronco! Of course I saw this after I was already out for the day, but I came home tonight, took the sponge out, and dumped all the water. I'll run dry (or close to it - I may chicken out from going totally dry for so longI) for the next week, unless someone suggests differently. I'll be curious to see if I get an acceleration in air sac growth. Totally don't trust my hygrometer, btw -- I have three and they all gave me different readings!

Thanks again! <3

Pretty easy to accurately test your hygrometer(humidity gauge).

To test a hygrometer you will need:
1/2 cup table salt
approximately 1/4 cup water
coffee cup
hygrometer
large re-sealable freezer bag
1. Place 1/2 cup of salt in the coffee cup, and add the water. Stir for a bit to totally saturate the salt (the salt won't dissolve, it will be more like really wet sand).

2. Place the salt/water mix in a re-sealable plastic bag, along with the hygrometer, and seal the bag. Note: make sure none of the salt/water mix comes in direct contact with the hygrometer.

3. Let this bag aside at room temperature for 8-12 hours, in a location where the temperature is fairly constant.

4. After 8-12 hours, check the reading of the hygrometer. It is best to read it while still in the bag.

The relative humidity in the sealed bag with the salt/water mix should be 75 percent

I generally use my hygrometer as a starting point, basic guide. Monitor your air cells. If they look good at days 7, 14 then you should be fine. Obviously if cells are too small then humidity is too high and cells too large humidity too low.

I'm curious if you found condensation on the lid of your bator? When humidity is up to 80% you will usually start to see it collecting. If you did not see that I would be suspicious that the hygrometer is wrong.

Good luck!
1f425.png

Back
Top Bottom