Crazy in the morning.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
My 15 week old cockerel is feeling frisky. when the door opens in the morning he must be feeling his hormones because the chase is on, does not last long but the 7 pullets are in get me out of her mode. I have not seen him breed a hen but he is working at it. My ? is am I being mean to the pullets when they are confined to a 6' x 20 ft. run and have no where to get away. I have been keeping a close eye on them, I dont want the cockerel to keep the pullets running for safety all the time. I know its nature but its not natural for them being confined to a run (cant free range due to predators). How much should I let happen before I need to take action? There all the same age raised together.

I personally will remove a cockerel that's being that disruptive and pen him separately until he matures more, or remove him permanently.

You are the only one who can judge the stress level of your pullets. Maybe try putting him in a crate at night for a while and see how it goes without him running amok. They may seem happier, or they may wait around for him. Than you will know.

For both sexes it can be pretty tumultuous at sexual maturity as hormones surge. Some handle it better than others.

A 15 week old cockerel's hormones will often make pullet's lives miserable; what you are seeing is common. Some cockerels are gentlemen from the get-go, but most behave similiar to your cockerel. Is there any way you can confine him separately until he is able to control himself? If so, your pullets will thank you for it. He may be a year old or so before he exhibits gentlemanly rooster behavior.

My cockerel is about 18 weeks old and my pullets ( now hens because they are all laying eggs) are 19 weeks. It seems like the hens that haven't matured as quickly are the ones that run away from the cockerel more often. The more mature ones usually just take it and go on about their business.

In my opinion, as long as the cockerel isn't physically hurting the pullets (blood, pulled feathers), and the hens shake off the encounters and quickly go back to normal chicken mode, I wouldn't worry about it. It's all a part of normal chicken life.

But honestly, I don't think my cockerel is overly aggressive, but he's the first I've ever had, so I'm still learning. I just know that overall, my flock is relaxed and happy most of the time.

My cockerel is about 18 weeks old and my pullets ( now hens because they are all laying eggs) are 19 weeks. It seems like the hens that haven't matured as quickly are the ones that run away from the cockerel more often. The more mature ones usually just take it and go on about their business.

In my opinion, as long as the cockerel isn't physically hurting the pullets (blood, pulled feathers), and the hens shake off the encounters and quickly go back to normal chicken mode, I wouldn't worry about it. It's all a part of normal chicken life.

But honestly, I don't think my cockerel is overly aggressive, but he's the first I've ever had, so I'm still learning. I just know that overall, my flock is relaxed and happy most of the time.
It's the competition between two (or more) hormonal cockerels that makes the problem worse.

It's the competition between two (or more) hormonal cockerels that makes the problem worse.
I laughed because I can relate. I had two cockerels and it was terrible. They had a knock down drag out fight between brothers that stressed the pullets out really bad. I gave away the "winner" and the whole flock became a peaceful, cohesive unit for the most part. The "loser" of the battle ended up being the winner of the war. I think he's on his way to becoming a very good rooster.

My 15 week old cockerel is feeling frisky. when the door opens in the morning he must be feeling his hormones because the chase is on, does not last long but the 7 pullets are in get me out of her mode. I have not seen him breed a hen but he is working at it. My ? is am I being mean to the pullets when they are confined to a 6' x 20 ft. run and have no where to get away. I have been keeping a close eye on them, I dont want the cockerel to keep the pullets running for safety all the time. I know its nature but its not natural for them being confined to a run (cant free range due to predators). How much should I let happen before I need to take action? There all the same age raised together.
As long as he doesn't chase them down and pin them, let it go.
But they should have a place to get away, some roosts or.....
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
( now hens because they are all laying eggs)
FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Thanks all, I do have roost they can get up on which they use to get away. Overall the cockerel is very protective of the pullets, making sure they are in the coop in the evening before he goes in. I still plan on having a 1 roost apartment for any bad or sick birds, need to get another roll of hardware cloth since seeing weasels running around the coop one day.

Back
Top Bottom