Crazy Pekin Mommas first brood

Crumcakes

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Kentucky
Today, we were shocked to find our family ducks ( family who are neighbors live all in about 5 houses in a row surrounded by the creek) Pekin Momma actually hatched her first brood. She had 7. She had them in and out of the creek today... She lost one somewhere. Anyway, she was acting good with them...very protective. Then we noticed her going up toward the road, her babies following behind her. I cringed as a car come.. Luckily, the passenger got out and showed her back down the bank into the yard. We then coerced her into a pen that I had for my newly released runners, who are 3 1/2 months old.

Now, she is in there with her babies. It has a sheltered house and plenty of run room and a small pool. We gave her fresh food and water. Laid straw down. She seemed content cause she was with her babies.... Her mate and my 4 runners are free ranging. They will come and visit her. Morally, I am wondering am I doing the right thing? I am afraid where they are so little......

I can't see anything wrong with penning up the ducklings and letting the others free-range. You might want to consider a fence or something to keep all of your ducks off the road. Ducks are very adaptable and owners generally have far more angst over what they do to the ducks than the ducks every have.

We have fenced both sides to keep them away from the road. We have lost a couple babies...which are almost adults now. One to the creek?, one to drowning, and one I think who may have had a congenital defect. :(

Back
Top Bottom