crazy ways of hatching eggs this really worked!?

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
so some of my friends are hatching chicks in new different ways some hatched and some not her they are:

1-hatching with warm summer sand: I know this sound a bit weird but my friend hatched out 4 chicks in the summer using a cozy blanket and bearing them under the hot sand leaving some air for them hatching not sure how they survive the nights but worked

2- hatching with a non broody hen: this may sound crazy but its almost naturally hatching but some force and non force you get a some thing like a small pillow or a folded small blanket and tie it to a chicken (I prefer big meaty hens) and let the hen in a place by herself or if you may leave her with the hens (more safe by her self) and catch her everyday to turn the eggs that's it this also worked only put 3 eggs more might be a bad idea.

you could try these if you want I only did the non broody hen trick and hatched 2 chicks might do it again thanks for reading

these are real not joking around!

I believe these methods work not perfect but good I tried both back in the days and had 80% of hatching with the raping eggs on hen thing but the sand method 55% hatching rate don't say this doesn't work before you try
old.gif

COULD it work? Sure, if you are somewhere the sand will stay the same temp as the underside of a hen for 21 days. And the humidity happens to be right.

Trying it as an experiment? Get a Chia pet. Chickens are live (or one hopes they will be if you don't screw this up) animals. You shouldn't be messing around hoping only 45% will die before hatching.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but your story has so many holes and impossibilities in it. So you tie a pillow to her. If I did that my chicken would rightfully freak out. How do you keep it from falling off when it's finished freaking out? Duct tape it? How does it poop with a pillow over its butt? How does it get on the roost at night with a pillow on its butt? How do the chicks not suffocate in the time between the first and last hatching. Why would a non broody hen adopt the supposed chicks? If it were that easy we wouldn't need heat lamps to grow them when incubated.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Against my better judgment, I will wade in.

What many here seem to be saying, and I am saying, is that any method which delivers the required temperature, humidity and motion will result in eggs that incubate to hatching.

There are thousands of ways one can try to accomplish that, but why? The results are less than positive, with low hatch rates and potential animal abuse as you lash a hen into position to turn her into a captive incubator. You are also creating a number of lives of which you know a large percentage are not going to make it and with at least some failing at a point where there is actual suffering on the part of the chicks who ultimately die.

To what purpose? To see if you can? People have been raising chickens for millennia. Most of the experiments have been done and the results found to be lacking. We live on the bleeding edge of human endeavour and best practices are just that - the BEST way we know to do a thing. Why try for less?

A cardboard box and a light bulb will do you far better than that and help to ensure there is no unnecessary suffering on the part of the animals - both the chicks and your bondage birds.

When I was little I tried hatching eggs in a compost pile but I didn't know much about hatching then so none hatched, they got way too wet. Now when I want just a few eggs hatched I stick them under one of my pigeon pairs cause they almost always want to hatch eggs. I haven't tried giving them chicken eggs yet but they are really good at hatching quail eggs.

Last edited:
nice to hear that hope you hatch the chicken eggs soon lots of people use pigeon as a broody hen for chicken eggs I did that to and hatched out some under giant pigeons maybe king breed 2 bantam eggs is the max to hatch 1 larger breed egg is the only you can put under them and compost wont work sand is dry and works better you can put compost under the eggs and sand on top of the compost (wet compost for humadity and dry sand over the compost)

Last edited:
This spring I will definitely try giving my pigeons a chicken egg to hatch, maybe even a duck egg if my ducks start laying.

duck eggs are too big they cant hatch ive tried and bad results they chill because of the pigeons smaller body you can try the methods I did in the thread they also work just as great as chicken eggs except or number 2 might work with chicken but better with duck for duck eggs

Back
Top Bottom