CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

The information is scattered among various posting folks. So ll I have to do is apply the iodine topically, around the face but not directly into eyes or nostril holes? I have Betadione, that is for topical use on horses. It is ruby brown in color, just like iodine. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'm going to try that. What causes the pox? Internal or external parasites? Apparently not a virus. Thans so much again.
Fowl pox is a virus. Here is a picture of favus, a fungus infection on this silkie's face. It is a white chalky powdery infection, and looks alittle like your picture. Favus is treated with antifungal creams such as miconazole and lotrimin. Of course, fowl pox in silkies looks a bit different than some of the common pictures.:
ebabasyj.jpg

Sure looks close. My silkie had a big round yellow crusty scab on her "nose" , beak and I pulled it off. Now there's a concave "hole" there, and smaller crusty stuff as per the pictures. There's also a red raw area under her chin, not bitten or bleeding. I guess I'll treat with antifungal cream, which I have for people use and also the iodine, since I'm not sure what she has. The reason why I'm thinking it's not respiratory is that she's not listless, no breathing change or behavior change.

Also DO NOT FEED THEIR EGGS TO THEM !!! CRD is caused by MG, which can be passed by the egg, so you are feeding the virus/ one celled organisium, back to them, possibly reinfecting them. MG lodges itself in the soft tissue of the throat, lungs etc.... it also likes a certain PH level. It is thought that perhaps feeding tomatoes etc.. while and after medication to them , changing the chickens PH, may help them get over it better..... worth a shot. Also there are some other meds out there that I can not discuss, as like Tylan and LA200 are only approved for swine, cattle and not chickens in the US, but are used in other countries with great results with MG. Do some research.......
wink.png
Why can't the chickens eat their own eggs? Wouldn't cooking the eggs thoroughly kill any virus or bacterium present in the egg? I hate to just waste all those eggs & the fatty acids are really good for the girls!

My mother hen came down with breathing issues when the chicks were about 5 weeks (just two days before she started laying and abandoned the nest & chicks). A week or two earlier I'd introduced 5 buff orph hatchery chicks to the existing hatch of 9 (all about 2-3 weeks old) :/ None of the chicks showed any symptoms, so mom went back to general population w/adults (I was thinking that the recent change from messy straw to crusher dust w/DE in the run might have irritated her lungs, also using misters when the temps are over 100 were suspect). Of course she may have been carrying CRD and just got weak from the long hot brood and had a flare of of dormant issue? Maybe the hatchery chicks carried it or shed whatever they were vaccinated against?

At any rate, I thought she was improving after a couple of days in general population, but now she & a couple other gals are congested :( so it's catching, and the crusher dust is only in about 5% of the big girls day run (under feeder & waterer) so I don't think it's the dust (which was high during install and them becomes minimal as fine particles settle or absorb into wastes) and I'd wet the material for the first week (it was a parched 110 out, so the 30-35% humidity + shade kept temps between 95 & 100 in the run). The surface ends up being very fine gravel bits atop semi-compacted sandy/silty particulates. The hens love it for dust bathing and I keep a couple spots slightly damp for them on the hottest days.

The hens are getting 2 tsp per gallon (600-800mg) Duramycin-10 via waterers
I'm giving the chicks probiotics in water and they have their own run but it does abut the adult run.
Any tips appreciated...

Of 14 chicks, I am pretty sure 7-8, maybe 9 are roosters LOL, every one of the buff orphs for sure... was hoping to net 5 organic buff orph roaster-roos for the freezer... will settle for healthy, happy birds, and still fit for consumption would be a nice bonus.

I need dosage info for my 3 chickens - they are 12 weeks old today, and this morning I found my Japanese Bantam with a foamy eye and swollen nostrils. Her voice is croaky, and she sneezed a few times. Around her eyes is swollen and red too....she looks just like me when I have a cold! lol...poor thing!

I got Duramycin-10, but I need to figure the dosage for 400mg in 1/2gal water. The directions on the back of the package are for using the entire 6.4ozs of powder.....I am not going to mix 25gal of medicine water for 3 chickens!

I was hoping maybe there was a chart somewhere, or someone else figured this out first. I am horrible at math! LOL
6 Tsp Makes 400mg and 12 Tsp makes 800mg I hope that helps we had to do the math yesterday for this.

According to http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf
400mg dose = 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon of water
800mg dose = 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water

Three teaspoons to a tablespoon, right? So 800/3 = 266.67 per teaspoon.
Six teaspoons - 266.67mg x 6 = 1600mg
Twelve teaspoons - 266.67 x 12 = 3200mg

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

big_smile.png

-Kathy
And I started to under-dose my girls based on a general consensus elsewhere... Eggselent save casportpony, THANK YOU!!! for the link
bow.gif

I just started this morning, so I can easily amend the concentration to manufacturer specs... which I was unaware existed for backyard quantities... it's always presented like some big mystery off label use, grrrr. but thank you, and my girls thank you most of all.

big_smile.png

-Kathy

Not sure what your asking my husband did the math yesterday and if you want them to get 400mg use 2 tbs or 4 tbs for 800mg. I am using tsp cause I had an extra one that I am keeping with the antibiotic. So we converted from tbs to tsp.

Not sure what your asking my husband did the math yesterday and if you want them to get 400mg use 2 tbs or 4 tbs for 800mg. I am using tsp cause I had an extra one that I am keeping with the antibiotic. So we converted from tbs to tsp.
I'm not Casportpony, but if you read the Durvet link, it will tell you the correct dosage of 800mg is 1 tablespoonful. Unless you have a gram scale, different substances have different weights and volumes. I would go by what the company recommends.

Duramycin 10
(tetracycline HCl soluble powder)
For use in drinking water for prevention and treatment
of diseases susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.
• Contains broad spectrum anti-bacterial action of
tetracycline hydrochloride.
• Each packet contains 10 grams of tetracycline
hydrochloride activity
• Good solubility.
• Convenient package size.
• Multi species label: swine, calves, chickens, and
turkeys
6.4 oz. foil packet, 62 packets per pail

To make 1
gallon:
400mg dose =
1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.)
per gallon of water
800mg dose =
1 Tbsp (2 oz.)
per gallon of water

Last edited:
Last edited:
And I started to under-dose my girls based on a general consensus elsewhere... Eggselent save casportpony, THANK YOU!!! for the link
bow.gif

I just started this morning, so I can easily amend the concentration to manufacturer specs... which I was unaware existed for backyard quantities... it's always presented like some big mystery off label use, grrrr. but thank you, and my girls thank you most of all.
You're welcome!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom