CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

Post #29

Re: CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?This is where I got my dosage information from: http://www.durvet.com/dl/Durvet-Poultry-Brochure.pdf

I
would LOVE to hear answers to all your questions mskittydjs as mine are pretty much the same. I have been destroying all the eggs laid since my flock was treated with Duramycin. I also read that the eggs should never be consumed, or more like, consume them at your own discretion since there may always be medication in them. I really would like to know if this is a fact or not. It's terrible to have to destroy the eggs after waiting so long since they were tiny chicks to get eggs. This is my first year with hens and I'm bummed.

Sharon

So I need to know if there is any truth to this? I would hate to toss eggs for 3-4 weeks and find out down the road that this whole time I was consuming trace ammounts of the medication.

I felt the same and had the exact same questions. That is why I went to the source ... the makers of the product ... to get answers, and why I posted the reply. Good luck with your girls.

What about adding new birds? I have chicks in the brooder who will be going out to the coop in a couple weeks....Are they safe?? How will this effect them since my current hens will always be carriers?

Quote:
Unfortunately, no one can say for certain, as no evidence exists to say whether it's a chronic thing or not DEFINITIVELY- because there is no known cure. Some are chronic, some are not, and it would require testing to know for certain.

It's a rough thing to have an illness and not know what or whether everyone is now a carrier. Depending on your flock and their meaning in your home, it may not make a substantial difference. Those who earn a living with them usually live by the rule of culling any sign of illness. It's the only ethical thing one can do if one has birds or eggs that go to others' homes.

Some things are known and can be managed, but chronic (or potentially so) illnesses are different. It's an individual call, and each case is different. I'd use Tiamulin and Baytril if it ever hit me, and send them to live on a little closed-flock farm. Alternatively, I'd give them a dirt nap. They wouldn't be able to stick around my farm.

And thats the big debate......Do I cull them all. I have one bird who is coughing and everyone else is fine. For now that is. They are on day 2 of treatment. Would I be better off culling the whole flock????

Quote:
Lordy, I'm so sorry. When did it start? What are you planning with your flock? Eggs for eating? Eggs and birds for sale/hatching?

Let me see if I can find the links on Tiamulin...

Quote:
Lordy, I'm so sorry. When did it start? What are you planning with your flock? Eggs for eating? Eggs and birds for sale/hatching?

Let me see if I can find the links on Tiamulin...

It started a couple days ago. I got all the bids from 1 breeder. A established flock so to speak. I plan on selling hatching eggs and eating the eggs. One hen had a cheek that was swollen up like a balloon and making a gurgling sound. So we culled her. He started all the birds on the Duramycin The same night. I have one rooster who is very lathargic and I have one hen with a mild cough. Evryone else appears to be healthy so far. But will they all get sick? Did I catch it in time? I called the seller since I paid a lot for these birds and she has no clue what I am talking about. Never even heard of a URI.

Back
Top Bottom