CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

No. You cannot eat the eggs. You cannot eat them for at least 3-4 weeks after you STOP the medication. and I took it a step further in never wanting to eat their eggs again. I just dont trust it.

I'm fairly new and after reading all these posts quite a bit discouraged. I purchased some pure birds from a very good breeder and he advised me that they may be carriers for something respiratory. Not knowing any better and him telling me they were healthy to start and healthy upon shipping, I agreed to take shipment anyway. He advised me they could be carriers of something, but didn't know for sure. We received the birds and of course one is exhibiting certain respiratory signs that something is wrong (sneezing, congested sounds), but are now eating and drinking. I have three other pullets at 10 weeks old, we are only planning to have a small backyard flock. I have the new birds in the garage, there are two (1 bantam, and 1 lf). So, do I treat with Duramycin or do I cull them now. These birds have already cost me $100 just to get them here, was hoping I could save them. Can I ever really introduce them to my 3 pullets or will I always have to worry? Did I just make a huge mistake taking these birds.

Quote:
I would say you made a huge mistake. If we are being blunt. Sorry. If he said they were carries, I would never have taken those birds. Now your whole flock is at risk. No matter how much you have invested in them, the second you introduce them to your new birds, Your new birds will get sick and they will forever be sick. No cure. It may even be too late for your other birds as well depending on how clean you have been between birds. Wearing differet clothes around the sick birds, different shoes, washing your hands. Respiratory diseases can travel over a mile in the air. This is what the state vet told me. So the choice is yours. But I made the choice to cull my flock and start over and trust me....I had at least 3 x what you had invested in yours.

Luckily I have my healthy 3 pullets in our sunroom, while hubby is building the coop in the garage. The two sick birds are in the garage in a dog kennel. I think your right about culling, think I just needed to hear it from someone more experienced. Very bummed as we had trouble finding these particular birds. Now, if my husband is building the coop in the garage and the sick birds are kept in the garage in a dog kennel. Do I need to disinfect the coop, even if the birds never came in physical contact with it? How airborne is this?

Quote:
URI can travel miles in the air. It can travel on your clothes and shoes. So if you have fed or watered the sick birds and didnt wash your hands or change you clothes, You could have exposed your others. If you are going to cull them, Wait to build the coop. To be safe I would bleach it with 50/50 water/ bleach solution just in case. I waited a few weeks before moving new birds into my coop after I cleaned it. Just to be safe. I also white washed mine with Lime and spread lime on the field as well. I am sorry you are going thru this. I have been there and it was really hard. I paid a lot of money for the flock I bought. They all seemed fine until I brought them home. The stress of moving them brought out the symptoms. I was going to keep them. But after submitting 2 for the state vet to perform necropsy on, They told me how bad it was and I even gave them Duramycin and Tylan and still made the decision to cull. It was tough but I would always know they were sick and I could never have new healthy birds.

Just thought I'd share my experience. I acquired chicks this spring there were carrying something respiratory as well. I was unaware of this until two of my grown hens in the same coop with the broody and her (adopted) babies started exhibiting terrible respiratory symptoms. It was bad enough that I didn't think they would make it. After 5 days on duramycin the hens were completely symptom-free. However, because I didn't know where it originated from, everyone else had already been exposed. Over the next week or two it gradually made it's way through my hens (who only displayed minor symptoms, besides the two original symptomatic ones), and then through my chicks where it really took it's toll. It only took 2 of my 18 chicks, but everyone was sneezy, stuffy, and congested and did NOT respond to the duramycin. Now, 3 weeks later, the symptoms have all but been eradicated. Their immune systems have taken care of it except for some residual sneezing.

I am currently treating everyone with Denagard for 5 days to see if that stops the sneezing (it was supposed to arrive two weeks ago...but my package was lost). If it doesn't, I'm assuming it's viral and will have to depend on their immune systems to take care of it. I refused to cull because my flock is closed and these birds are pets, and because apparently it's been going around the area anyway (I read somewhere that a huge percentage of flocks have been exposed to MG or some other CRD causing microbe...but that not all birds are symptomatic throughout their life).

For you I would skip the Duramycin altogether and get some Tylan powder or injectible. The birds in question are older, correct? If so, order some injectible Tylan, give it one shot in the breast, and the symptoms should disappear. However, introducing them to your flock WILL cause the others to become infected. The choice is up to you whether or not you're willing to manage a CRD flock or not, meaning you cannot sell hatching eggs, chicks, or birds in the future. Chances are you have not been showering between coops, so your other birds may already be exposed as the pathogens can travel on your skin, shoes, clothing, and hair. Incubation periods are usually 5-14 days, so keep a lookout for symptoms in your other chickens.

Good luck, only you can make the best decision for you and your flock.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry you are dealing with this. The other posters are correct that it can be very hard to prevent spreading these respiratory things. Wirh just 2 birds affected, i would also suggest that you cull. The birds probably were "healthy" and probably have never had symptoms before, but moving them is VERY stressful and it brings out the symptoms. If anyone ever mentions that they have birds with any illness....run far, far away from them. Way too risky. Read up on biosecurity. Buying started birds/grown birds is very risky as far as bringing home infections. We stick with day old birds from reputable hatcheries and breeders and usually try to hatch our own. I suspect the breeder has MG in his flock. he apparently knew that he had something going on. This one happens to be rather common and it can transfer to newly hatched chicks through the egg in about 10% of the eggs. I would hope he didn't have something nastier than MG and chose to sell you birds anyway! Not to minimize MG in any way, it's nothing to sneeze at either. Good luck, I hope this all helps.

Due to the extreme heat (or so the theory goes), one of my chicks was experiencing some sort of CRD (bubbly eye). We have had 100-105F hot, dry, windy weather for the last week. I had also mentioned to my supplier that another one of my chicks seemed way too small for her age. This is the response I got. Would like to have your feedback on his comments. Thanks!

The only disease that Ideal Poultry vaccinates for is Marek's and we have all of our chicks vaccinated. Virtually all hatcheries are MG+ which means the breeding stock they have can be carriers. It generally only shows up when birds are stressed and with the temperature extremes we are having they are stressed. We have had a few showing symptoms of it. I do not have any welsummers left so I can't accurately say if any of the others are showing signs of it or not. Of the thousands of birds we have I have less than 10 showing any sign of it and the ones that do are separated and treated separate from the rest of our birds. The stunted growth of the second bird could be from MG also. Sometimes the "runts" are sick, other times they are just "runts". I would give her more time to grow through it and see how she is at around 10 weeks old. I would treat all of them with gallimycin or any other antibiotic that treats CRD. We treat ours with Denagard which is a very powerful and very effective antibiotic but also an expensive one. Chickens, like wild birds, can carry any number of diseases. The closest human equivalent would be staff and who knows how many people would test positive for it even though they don't have any symptoms of it. With chickens MG is the same, the majority of birds would test positive but most won't show any signs of it. Hope that helps and feel free to e-mail with any other questions.
Thanks,​

Back
Top Bottom