CRD - Duramycin dosage for chickens?

We had a respiratory disease about 1 year ago. Started off treating/isolating a couple that showed signs with Duramycin. Soon however, it was spreading rapidly, so we treated the entire flock, and all was well. Since then, at least 6 times we have introduced new birds, either hatched by broodies, or incubated here from our eggs. Not once, have any new birds just gotten sick out of the blue.
However, a year later, we are going through it all over again. Started with 2 isolated, but soon several others showed symptoms, so we are beginning today, treating the entire flock.
Tetracycline, which is what Duramycin is, has been prescribed to millions (billions?) of people for years, for certain things.
The first go around with problems last year, started just a couple days after a "caring" neighbor who had found a wandering chick in the neighborhood, mistakenly placed it into our yard. It didn't belong to us, but some nearby neighbors a few doors down.
This latest go around started with a few chickens in particular, who fly over our back fence into an open field for most of the day. Unfortunately, this field also backs up to the neighbor's yard where I believe the first sick chicken came from. These few chickens were the first to develop symptoms, and it has since been spreading rapidly.
Biosecurity has not been perfect at our place, but I will be extending all the fences up with netting to keep them in from now on.
Again, we have never had any new bird, or even the previous "carriers" get sick again, until now, a year later.

We had a respiratory disease about 1 year ago. Started off treating/isolating a couple that showed signs with Duramycin. Soon however, it was spreading rapidly, so we treated the entire flock, and all was well. Since then, at least 6 times we have introduced new birds, either hatched by broodies, or incubated here from our eggs. Not once, have any new birds just gotten sick out of the blue.
However, a year later, we are going through it all over again. Started with 2 isolated, but soon several others showed symptoms, so we are beginning today, treating the entire flock.
Tetracycline, which is what Duramycin is, has been prescribed to millions (billions?) of people for years, for certain things.
The first go around with problems last year, started just a couple days after a "caring" neighbor who had found a wandering chick in the neighborhood, mistakenly placed it into our yard. It didn't belong to us, but some nearby neighbors a few doors down.
This latest go around started with a few chickens in particular, who fly over our back fence into an open field for most of the day. Unfortunately, this field also backs up to the neighbor's yard where I believe the first sick chicken came from. These few chickens were the first to develop symptoms, and it has since been spreading rapidly.
Biosecurity has not been perfect at our place, but I will be extending all the fences up with netting to keep them in from now on.
Again, we have never had any new bird, or even the previous "carriers" get sick again, until now, a year later.
Once birds get a respiratory disease and if they survive even after treatment with ANY antibiotic, they become carriers for life. Any type of stress can bring out the symptoms and retreatment is necessary. Even using the same antibiotic such as duramycin might not work again because the disease has built up resistance to it. Therefore you have to use a more powerful antibiotic, the cycle never ends. Antibiotics treat the symptoms, not cure the disease. This is why it's recommended to cull birds with respiratory diseases.

thanks for your detail and doing the calculations for me, i am freaked out after reading this thread about how to treat or wether to treat sneezing chicks

So...this is how i figured it out. Take the total ounces of the package, 6.4 in this case, and divide by the number of gallons you get by concentration. I wanted the 400 mg which says it will make 25 gallons at that concentration. 6.4 oz. divided by 25 equals .256 ounce per gallon. A package of dry yeast is .25 oz.(same type of powdery product) and it is 2 1/4 tsps. per package.

So I have been using just slightly more than 2 1/4 tsps per gallon of water for the 400 mg. dosage.

I might not be a scientist but there is more than one way to solve an equation!

Unless you have a VERY Sm. Hen 2-3lb. I would NOT use Tylan 50. Tylan "50" only stays in the system for 4-6hrs & with infections(espec. CRD/Mycoplasma) you want a steady-consistant level of meds in system. Dips cause the virus to build a tolerance! The 2 Meds I recommend & this is based on LOTS of experience I would use 1cc. of Inj. tetracycline every other day for "2 WEEKS". You may notice a decrease in appetite but the CRD-mucus is worse!
Not only can they not breath but it clogs the throat passages & causes food such as laying pellet to get stuck. In addition digestion is much slower & interferes with breakdown-absorption of food.
I resort to force feeding VERY carefully while on lA 200.
The bad part is if its winter/very cold. You may need to sacrafice your garage or barn for awhile. In EXTREME cases you would need to bring them in. The Only problem is that its a shock to go from a Very Warm atmosphere to Very cold. This is why I recommend a middle ground & use a laying box with a nice bowl shape of straw(so it comes up around them) I also use a rag-hand towel to try & lay it over the top-around face area. They may try to knock it off at first but if they are Really sick they typically won't & turn light off Immediately after putting Blanket on(My Trick).
In SEVERE cases OR if you wish to try & keep your CRD flock is Denegard-Tiamulin(NOT TYLAN). The only place I have found it is on QC supply & it takes 4-5 days to get it. This is primarily used in Europe but the GOOD thing is OUR strains of CRD will more than likely have NO tolerance to the drug(drugs like Tylan are over used but if you insist use the 200 & NOT the 50 even with 200 you will need to be on a time clock to give injections every "12 Hrs").
Its getting down in the 30's here & I'm dealing with an outbreak presently which started during molting. I HAVE REALIZED THIS IS A STRESS PERIOD & STRESS IS TRIGGER FOR OUTBREAK(JUST ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO INVEST IN DENEGARD).
tHIS DRUG CAN BE USED THERAPEUTICALLY IF YOU SUSPECT YOU ARE HAVING AN OUTBREAK.
I'M USING LA200 IN CONJUNCTION WITH DENEGARD FOR 2 WEEKS.
THESE 2 WORK SYNERGISTIC(TOGETHER) TO COMBAT MG. DO NOT COMBINE OTHER DRUGS WITH DENEGARD SOME WILL FIGHT AGAINST EACH OTHER(SEE DENEGARD SITE FOR ADVICE).
The DOSE FOR Denegard is 2cc per Qt. of water(4cups). For a general respiratory inf. 5-6 days is ok but if your dealing with sneezing,heavy mouth wetness,whistle like breathing,stuffy nasal sounds your better off going 2 weeks. This jug may be $50 inc. shipping BUT it will last you a LONG Time.
If you choose to force feed & DON'T have a feeding tube then I suggest having a used-clean enema bottle filled with denegard water close by. You will need to feel the throat/coax downward to crop. WHEN the food starts to stick swuirt a sm. amt. of water mixture in BACK of throat & GENTLY start using your fingertips to work food downward into crop. If your NOT familiar with the structure of the crop then you may want to look at a pic. of chicken anatomy. IN SHORT The food will start going down straight but about 3/4 of the way down it will go to the R. SIDE of throat /down into crop. (IF USING FEED TUBE MAKE SURE YOU DISINFECT Rubber Line BEFORE USING ON ANOTHER BIRD)
If you are scared to do any of this then the BEST I can recommend is giving them 60%SEED mix with 40% Meatbird crumble & hope they will eat some meatbird(this is just based on personal experience but its amazing how all my hens will eat the same stuff during an outbreak. Avoid too much Corn IF Possible. Corn turns to sugar & sugar feeds bacteria/fungus(typically) so small amts. is ok.
GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS!
Luciana Med Asst. P.S. I DO consult with a Vet although she was wrong on 2 diagnoses & I ended up being right. The Best info. I DID get was about the Denegard product. You may see its listed for Swine but get beyond that & read the comments. Most will be in regards to using this product for Chickens. OH ,VERY IMPORTANT! IF USING DENEGARD YOUR CHICKENS WILL HUNT FOR A SECONDARY SOURCE OF WATER WHICH INC. EATING GRASS! AVOID THIS EVEN IF IT MEANS LOCKING THEM UP IN BARN/GARAGE FOR AWHILE. THIS WILL WEAKEN THE LEVEL OF DRUGS IN SYSTEM & THEY WILL NOT WANT TO DRINK. I PERSONALLY USE MY ENEMA BOTTLE TO MAKE SURE THEY GET "AT LEAST" 1OZ.(1OZ-1.5) OF LIQUID MORN./EVE.

To be clear on the egg withdrawal time for Duramycin 10, this product is NOT labeled for egg layers and states on the label “Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption”. This product has not been tested on eggs, therefore Durvet cannot recommend anything for off-label use. It is suggested that you contact your veterinarian for advice.
Customer Service, Durvet, Inc.

To be clear on the egg withdrawal time for Duramycin 10, this product is NOT labeled for egg layers and states on the label “Not for use in turkeys or chickens producing eggs for human consumption”. This product has not been tested on eggs, therefore Durvet cannot recommend anything for off-label use. It is suggested that you contact your veterinarian for advice.
Customer Service, Durvet, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom