CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

Please read though the link in my signature line. I am glad that I didn't cull over suspencions and did a necropsy on a couple of my worst birds. It turns out they were parasite loaded with roundworms and it set them up for a respiratory infection/bloodly stools and the such that was all treatable.

Sorry to hear it wasn't better news but it really wasn't any news at all. Vets just don't know chickens. We've seen this over and over again.

I just reread this thread and saw you never mentioned TylanD. Was Tetracycline what the vet recommended? It's not very effective against respiratory infections in birds.

Flowerchild's suggestion is interesting. Worms causing CRD symptoms or lowering their resistance to CRDs or just an RD. If you have the necropsy make sure to tell them to check for worms. Heck, you never know.

I'm feeling your pain with this one Foxy. A bunch of us have been where you are now. Please remember that the vast majority of chickens have rather horrendous lives. You gave your's some good ones.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you.
Ive considered worms but we have had fecal flotations done on some for them and they couldn't find anything, so we don't really think its worms
hmm.png
And idk, my vets worked with many poultry, farm animals, and in zoo's before so he is more knowledgeable then a normal vet.

Last edited:
Sorry foxypoproxy. I was hoping when the tests came back 'indicative but inconclusive' that maybe you had a hope of saving your birds, but that was not to be apparently. What a lousy situation.

So i just got back from bringing them to UCON to be put down and necropsy-ed.
I will be getting their ashes sent to me. And should get necropsy results in a few days.
The people their were really nice.
It was really depressing handing them over and i cried the whole way home...but atleast now we may figure out what was making them so sick...
I never want to have to do this again
hit.gif

Its so quiet here.... its so weird seeing the coop and pens empty

Last edited:
Aw bless you.
hugs.gif
ill say a little irish prayer my irish grandma used to say when any of our animals died. Your a good person hun.Tracy.xx

Back
Top Bottom