Cream Legbar Club -- WWIT

Happy to hear that your emergencies are resolved.

congratulations on the crests... and that little roo OMG....is he a heart breaker or what. all the girls will follow him around he is a beauty!
love.gif

OUTSTANDING! Great Job guys!
clap.gif

So sorry I haven't been able to respond to messages - we had three separate family emergencies over November and December. Hopefully everything is back on track for "normal!"

I'll be signing up soon, probably in late January. Still hoping to find a correct roo, but this little guy looks promising; not too much red showing up. He is so inquisitive and friendly too. Sometimes a little too friendly LOL!

And FINALLY, I have two girls with crests! (the orange chicks are German New Hamps.)

I like this cockerel, and my dues are in. :)

I can't wait till spring so I can make another coop and run just for my pair!!!! I have asked for Gift Certificates to the local lumber yard for christmas! How big do these get and about at what age do they mature? Right now the roo and hen is in with my Black Australorp pullets. These two hatched out in Oct and are still much smaller than the BA's.

According to one of the origianl write-ups by RC Punnett the rooster can be 7 to 7 1/2 pounds and the mature hen 5 to 6 pounds. Partly because all our birds are so young here in the USA, I think we are seeing much smaller birds. They are derived from brown leghorn for eggs, Barred Plymouth Rocks for autosexing, and a hen from Chile for cream color and the great crests. In appearance, I would say a lot like a leghorn but sturdier, thanks to their other genetics.

I have a cockerel that was born Sept 3 who is now breeding age....so that's 16 weeks today I think -- or is it 17? Hens will mature a little more slowly IMO. I think people are getting the first pullet eggs around 22-24 weeks.

Please chime in other CL owners if there is light that you can shed on this subject.

I'm thinking like you, that we are all looking forward to spring, and planning our strategies for that time. :O)

Thanks ChitKat, My DH and both thought about the Brown Leghorn in the apperance too. I used to have one but sold her do to not giving eggs. She had become my pet as she came when I called her peanut. I will start looking for eggs around the 22 week mark then. Thanks alot!!!!

Have a Merry Christmas and be safe.

Triplell

I have 6 Cream Legbar cockerels that I will give anyone who wants them. You just pay shipping. I will pay for the box. I have several that are very promising, but I only plan to keep 3.

Thanks ChitKat, My DH and both thought about the Brown Leghorn in the apperance too. I used to have one but sold her do to not giving eggs. She had become my pet as she came when I called her peanut. I will start looking for eggs around the 22 week mark then. Thanks alot!!!!
Have a Merry Christmas and be safe.
Triplell
Doesn't that just contradict everything about leghorns? They are supposed to be excellent egg-layers and unfriendly. I know some folks have very sweet and friendly Cream Legbars and some have skittish. Some have great egg-layers and some have less productive birds. Doesn't that just leave us with tons of things we can do to improve the breed? My top priorities are disease resistance and good egg production, then I think I'm going to go for the bluest....and last for me may be the coloring. I wonder if it is going to be possible to breed for friendly chickens? I love the idea of you peanut being like a pet. The tamer the chicken, the more enjoyable they are IMO.

Back
Top Bottom