Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
1) I have hatch from 3-4 hens that look like the hen in the back right and all of them produce cockerels with the bright chestnut saddle feathers and sholders. I have to watch the body color on the hens since some of the gold hens have very light hackles. Hens with a brown hue to the body color produce gold cockerel when paired to a cream cockerel and hens with a grey color to their body produce cream colored cockerels when paired to cream cockerels.

P.S. I will try to get a side by side photo of the body color of the cream hen and the really light gold hen. It may be hard to see the difference in a photo though.
I would greatly appreciate you posting the differences between the Cream and the light gold and again the Gold and the light gold if you can. As your above photo illustrates, some are really obvious. Yet there are some, like the one on the right in your first group photo that look more on the Cream side so I appreciate you helping me to understand why she got tagged as gold since she matches closer to your Cream.

Sorry, busy weekend, I still haven't got any new photos, but I will get cockerel color comparisons the first chance I get with good light and a camera.

Cjwaldon..in the 2nd photo looks like cream to me. The fist photo is harder to tell, but I am guessing cream in the front and gold (possibly cream?) in the back.

Last edited:
Thanks for you input Blackbirds13 you have seen a lot more Cream than I have. :)

Photos of the Cream and Light Gold pullet are on my todo list.

I have a hard time with a few of them however. Besides the sentimentality of her being my first Legbar another reason I keep my gold girls is to have a reference and also they lay a nice large egg but it does seem to be greener than the cream girls but I think this is probably just a genetic issue from the original hen.

I still cannot tell the difference. What do I have here, gold or cream?

They all have a brown hue to the body which is not apparent in the photos below.

I cannot tell from the second photo. It's just to small for my eyes.
In the first photo I agree with GaryDean's assessment of the pullet in front being cream as opposed to the one in the back looking more gold. But photos tend to sometimes wash out the color tones - the reason some think that the cream birds look so silver at times.

If someone actually gets a BLUE egg, please post a picture. Seems there is a terminology thing that I don't understand where people are calling eggs blue that are really shades of green. In my research I have learned that CLs will lay shades of pale blue or green or even a darker shade green and various colors in between those ranges. I already have Ameraucanas that will lay "blue" (but they are really green) eggs, and I already have Easter eggers that lay green eggs. I really hope my CLs do lay BLUE eggs as promissed from the seller, but others who have CLs from the same seller said that their eggs are really green, not blue. I still have a while to wait as my CLs are only 10 weeks old. I don't appreciate when people misrepresent what they have and what they are selling. Anyway, I'm hoping somebody is actually getting those blue eggs.

On a side note, I am keeping a weekly picture "diary" of my CL's growth on my page, if anyone wants to see chick progression as they grow. Although on this new BYC forum, I'm not sure how to view peoples pages yet.

This is a late post but when I read this I had to agree. If a breed lays blue fine but don't say it's blue when it's more greenish or minty. That's why I went directly to a show breeder and got a purebred APA Ameraucana to guarantee my blue egg. It wasn't misrepresented as anything but a light blue so was delighted when my pullet laid a definite blue egg inisde the shell as well as the outside shell! Plus her eggs are over 2 oz and sometimes 2.25 oz which I wasn't expecting either! Plus I don't have to deal with a floppy comb. Our Ameraucana has a little pea comb hardly visible with all her fluffy cheeks LOL! Great for those cold nights!

Some breeders are responsible and junk the greenish egg stock but some breeders aren't that discriminating so the greens are getting mixed w/ the blue layers. KUDOS to the breeders who are being diligent about the blue eggs only! We can get plenty of EEs to give us minty green eggs but it's rare to find definite purebred blue-egg breeds.

pale blue I have noticed if the eggs get soiled at all they have a green cast where they are soiled also they can better make the blue shells dependant on what you feed them. I tested this out at one time ot makes a huge. Differance calendula pettles. I am in the process of moving and havent brought over herb yet so she hasnt had any for several months her eggs are more pale because of it.

Back
Top Bottom