Cream Legbar Pictures

Pics
Both those chicks do look like females. Sometimes that happens. But in the other pic you posted the one on the left is no doubt a rooster. If he is the day old in the pic above on the right he might not be good for breeding since auto-sexing didn't work well in his case and auto sexing at hatch is the main CL trait other than blue eggs. He may pass on the inability to sex at hatch. Do you have pics of all 4 at hatch and all 4 now?

Last edited:
Early in this thread someone mentioned having ameraucanas that lay "blue" eggs that are really green. After buying 2 different dozens of Ameraucana eggs that included green eggs I won't buy any more.

If people can't tell blue from green they should not be selling hatching eggs......

Be careful when buying legbar chicks. If the buyer tells you the parent birds came from green eggs.....you are not buying purebred Crested Cream Legbars.

I am getting a dozen CCL eggs in December. Merry Christmas to me :)

Early in this thread someone mentioned having ameraucanas that lay "blue" eggs that are really green. After buying 2 different dozens of Ameraucana eggs that included green eggs I won't buy any more.

If people can't tell blue from green they should not be selling hatching eggs......

Be careful when buying legbar chicks. If the buyer tells you the parent birds came from green eggs.....you are not buying purebred Crested Cream Legbars.

I am getting a dozen CCL eggs in December. Merry Christmas to me
smile.png

Congrats on you eggies. I wish ypu the best of luck for a good hatch!

I think you are opening a can of worms if your measurement on purity of Cream Legbars is their egg color. I have received 3 sets of hatching eggs from 3 breeders all of whom got their Legbars directly from GFF or from folks that got them from GFF. All of the eggs I would consider green or blue-green. Non were blue to my eye. If we go by your statement that green eggs=not purebred then you are saying that GFF doesn't have purebred Cream Legbars and by extension no one in the US does becasue US stock is all traced back to GFF. Moreover, the SOP allows both blue and green eggs.

Here is a chart taken from a discussion on BYC about blue vs green eggs: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/410449/ameraucana-eggs-difference-in-color

6809_img048.jpg

To my eye all of D and half of C look Green and arguably many of the other colors are blue/greens like aqua. This chart is from the Ameraucana Club and I wouldn't think they would put in colors they did not feel were authentic and typical of a purebred Ameraucana.

Could you help me understand your reasoning behind the thought that green eggs are an indication of purity of the bird vs a breeder preference?

Last edited:
Thank you for the congratulations! I am excited about the breed.

I think I did not express my concerns properly. I was extremely upset 2 different times in Ameracauna eggs I had shipped to me. When I was assured the eggs I would be getting were blue and half of them turned out to be green I was upset. And this was dealing with two different breeders.

The first 4 were taken today. One of them is darker colored. The possible roo, the 2nd pic light colored with its head up. The last pic is when they were little
Sooo interesting....because perhaps chick at the top has less definite and more diffuse chipmunk stripes -- in that light too - he looks like a head spot - but I know it is the light shining through the fluff due to the angle of the camera. Here is the states...we always use the head spot to identify the boys - but "Officially" the diffusion of chick stripes is the real indicator....Interesting too that in the color plate from this article -- all the males have visible head spots - So an easy shorthand if headspots are there -- but not the official word on the subject. I agree with enola that your right comb in the picts looks like a rooster comb.... Heard anyone making a scratchy little crow? :O)

http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/41/1.pdf

Scroll to the very bottom of the article for an indication of chick-down pattern in Punnett's time. Albeit gold legbar chicks because Cream Legbar wasn't invented when the article was written...the autosexing is the most important trait. It would be so interesting to see - since the girls are so chipmunked what this pairing would produce for you ..... providing you do hear that little crow. In the long run, you may want to find a rooster who started life with no ambiguity for your future flock! Roosters should be less costly and easy to obtain from someone who has extras....

I am getting a dozen CCL eggs in December. Merry Christmas to me
smile.png
Dr.ETD, really has a good point - and that version of the Egg color chart is showing up very saturated on my screen.... Blue is a big, big net in the chicken egg color world and it takes in a lot that we would call green if we were painting our walls. Part of it is because of the discussion of just the genetic side of the egg (any chicken with the O/O genetics is a "blue egg layer"), part is the process of the shell formation - which they may be discovering can contain brown throughout and not just in the bloom (cuticle layer of the shell)....

Mr. Frank Decmar of the UK created the egg color chart - and his colors came from actual egg shells of Araucanas - so any color on there would be considered blue..... How confusing is that?

Here are links articles about blue (and all the colors) of chicken eggs.... It's by Tim Adkerson here on BYC

http://plumage.forum-actif.net/t17019-o-o
http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/files/eggreview.pdf

so there is a palisade layer to the shells that is not the cuticle that we normally think of as the layer that carries all the brown pigment... just another piece of the puzzle...

If the eggshell is identical in color inside and out - it is probably the true color of the egg. If there is a difference inside and outside there is a coating. Check when the egg is freshly broken as the dried membrane will whiten the inside. Another test for green (with brown coating) egg is to try to wash-off or rub off some of the green to see if it is more blue beneath...

Congratulations on the Christmas eggs. I have a CL that lays a bluish Green and the color is the identical shade inside and outside the egg. Today I noticed when I broke an egg from a different CL that the outer and inner colors are slightly different..and there must be some slight bloom on her eggs making them greener... the strangest thing is that her blue is bluer than the other eggshell (as I recall - she's in molt right now) - but the outer shell is greener. (that really helps a lot doesn't it --LOL)

Last edited:
I need one of the egg color charts preferably right here in my hsnds instead of on my screen. I found the same chart on different threads today, and the difference in the colors was alarming. So, now I know what I want for Christmas.....My very own egg color chart!

Ps. Is there one for brown eggs too?

I need one of the egg color charts preferably right here in my hsnds instead of on my screen. I found the same chart on different threads today, and the difference in the colors was alarming. So, now I know what I want for Christmas.....My very own egg color chart!

Ps. Is there one for brown eggs too?

I got the online auction chart instead of the ameraucana chart because it has many colors represented. Although not designed for eggs, it seems to serve its purpose for that and you could look at brown colors on it, too. It will only be helpful if the person you are talking to has the OAC too.

Here is a photo of an assortment if CL eggs I received with the OAC chart behind it. Most eggs are OAC 123 or 151 which to my eye is more on the green side.

Link to the ameraucana chart http://www.ameraucana.org/ClubMerchandise.html
Link to the OAC http://onlineauctioncolorchart.com/
I know there is a Marans color chart but I don't know who sells it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom