Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

It depends...I used to say yes, in fact I didn't use medicated at all. but the dragon lady says use it until 4 months, so I'm trying it :D

I will not be in GA, but hopefully some other CLBs will be shown in Barnwell, SC in March

Quote:
Nicalandia, could you please help me understand the difference between the non-Cream (Ig/ig or Ig/Ig) Cream Legbars that appear gold with red enhancement, and the Crele coloration? I know that in theory a true Crele is a barred BBR whereas the Cream Legbar is Partridge but in reading the SOP for a Crele OEGB and seeing pictures of the non-Cream Cream Legbars, I am afraid I don't see a difference.

For instance, you have said here that the Crele has dark barring on the chest and has gold/ginger barring on the hackle/saddle and implied that the Cream Legbars would be lighter.

The SOP for the CL calls for: Breast: Dark gray, evenly barred, well defined outline (to compare, the standard for a Crele OEGB says evenly barred dark grey and white--this seems the same to me). Chestnut in the Cream birds is allowed in the crest, shoulder, back and wing fronts a bows. When you have a non-Cream (gold expressed) Cream Legbar roo, he could have all of the areas that are allowed to be chestnut remaining chestnut plus all of the areas listed as Cream as Gold and then a darkly barred breast....seems to me he would look Crele if you didn't know that his base was supposed to be partridge.

Thus, I am confused about how the phenotype of this non-Cream CL rooster would look different from the Crele rooster. Could you please elaborate?

It depends...I used to say yes, in fact I didn't use medicated at all. but the dragon lady says use it until 4 months, so I'm trying it
big_smile.png

I will not be in GA, but hopefully some other CLBs will be shown in Barnwell, SC in March
Wow, the reason I heard that we should stop medicated at 8-weeks is because after that point it interferes with the chicks own ability to build up resistance to cocci. So up to 8-weeks, it is a protection, then after that it is detrimental. Not to have a confilicting opinion with DL - but I think it was a reputable chicken author where I got the info. The older chickens also shouldn't eat chick feed with amprolium in it for that same reason - so I have heard....

Good - are you also entereing Barnwell with some CLs?

The National Western Stock Show is going on in Denver. The poultry arrival is Friday am, showmanship is Friday at 3 ( can I assume this is the 4H kids--how does this work?) and the poultry judging is at 9 on Saturday. How long does the check in last and does the public have access to viewing prior to judging?

I was thinking of going down on Saturday and checking out the poultry and seeing if there were any Cream Legbars entered. Typically, how long will the judging last in a given show, and will the poultry area be available for me to walk through the rest of the day? Are the breeders typically present with their birds after judging to talk to folks that walk through? Just trying to plan accordingly since I may want to sneak in a rodeo while I am there and would hate to miss the poultry viewing
smile.png
Thanks!
I drove by the stock show on my way back to the Denver airport on Wednesday morning and told my Mom I would have scheduled a later flight if I had known.

Yes, all the showmanship that I have seen has been listed for youth (4H). They have to train a chicken to pose in a show cage or on a table top and display their handling of the bird. They also have to give breed information on their birds and answer poultry questions from the judge to display their knowledge.

If there are no lines at check in it goes fast. About all they have done at the two shows I have been to is point me to the row my cage is on and tell me what my assigned cage number was. If it is a free Poultry show, the public will have access to the building and can see the birds before judging. Those that don't have to get up in the middle of the night to be there for early morning check-in typically sleep in and don't show up until the birds are judged though.

The show I went to earlier this month had 89 Marans. The judging to almost 2 hours just for the Marans. Other breeds and classes were being judged at the same time so most of the breed results were done in about 3 hours. Then they posted all the class champions and set up a champion row where all the winners were moved. The Show Champions were picked after all birds were moved to Champion row, so maybe 4 hours of judging total for a 2000 birds show.

I am guessing the Cream Legbar judging won't take any more than 10 minutes. :)

Last edited:
Quote: It happens every year for most of January so maybe some day you can make it up with your Chickens.

Talked to the screener for check in (she is from CSU and does NPIP certification) and she will be there from 8-2 on Friday. She is going to let me come down and watch the check in process and hopefully I will get to see if there are any Cream Legbars showing and I can meet any breeders if so!

Does anyone know if there is a DNA test to find out if a bird carries the blue or green egg gene?

I just grew out birds from another breeder and they just started laying. Unfortunately, some of their eggs are green. My original flock laid sky blue eggs, but 2 of the 4 girls were not crested so I thought it would be a good idea to get chicks from a crested flock. I plan to trap nest them to see who is laying blue and who lays green. However, if my roosters have the green gene I will be right back in the same situation the next generation. I am hoping I can get a blood test on the boys to see if they carry the green gene.

Also, while I am at it.... Can you test to see if a black bird is split for lavender with a DNA test?

Does anyone know if there is a DNA test to find out if a bird carries the blue or green egg gene?

I just grew out birds from another breeder and they just started laying. Unfortunately, some of their eggs are green. My original flock laid sky blue eggs, but 2 of the 4 girls were not crested so I thought it would be a good idea to get chicks from a crested flock. I plan to trap nest them to see who is laying blue and who lays green. However, if my roosters have the green gene I will be right back in the same situation the next generation. I am hoping I can get a blood test on the boys to see if they carry the green gene.

Also, while I am at it.... Can you test to see if a black bird is split for lavender with a DNA test?
If you find out - let me know!! Most DNA tests are for parrots and parrot diseases, sexing and colors.

Tried getting through to these folks:
http://www.avianbiotech.com/ and they basically said that they weren't set up for chickens..

Wow, the reason I heard that we should stop medicated at 8-weeks is because after that point it interferes with the chicks own ability to build up resistance to cocci. So up to 8-weeks, it is a protection, then after that it is detrimental. Not to have a confilicting opinion with DL - but I think it was a reputable chicken author where I got the info. The older chickens also shouldn't eat chick feed with amprolium in it for that same reason - so I have heard....

Good - are you also entereing Barnwell with some CLs?

Yes, we're entering CLs in Barnwell! The Ides of March approaches...All region south is invited to Barnwell, SC or the Fancy Feathers show in TX on March 15!

Back
Top Bottom