Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Have you had a chance to read the draft 2 standard yet? Your older too has a better shape and color according to the standard, but I can't see his wing bay. Do you have any pics with the feathers straightened out? I really like his crest, and one extra point is not a big deal in terms of his comb. In future offspring I would pick boys which display the cream and gray as much as possible in the saddle, and try to get away from those dark golden bits way back there hanging out with the lesser sickles.
Your younger boy has some growing in to do, but he has a great start shaped wise. Watch that breast line to see if it rounds out or stays flat ( round breast good). Does he always hold his wings low, or is it just the cage? This is something to look for in offspring to get them nice and high. Does he have a crest? If not, you are going to have to pair him large crested girls or he will father non crested birds instead of just passing one copy of it down...automatic DQ if you're planning on showing. Color wise, I think you know he's gold...but it doesn't 't mean that he has to be dismissed if you have cream girls to work with
smile.png
best wishes with your beautiful birds!
Thanks! I just read over the standard, I had not seen it before. I'll pull out the wings tomorrow and try to get some photos. I'll also fix the older guys wings so you can see the color of the secondaries... I didn't know it was all messed up when taking it.

I had just put the young cockerel in the show coop and he was pretty nervous, I have lots of blurred photos to prove it. He does have a crest that is just starting to come in, but it is there. I don't recall the age difference exactly but I know he is significantly younger than the older cockerel. I was curious about his coloring... I figured it was too dark ("cream" legbars not "gold" legbars) but wasn't sure how dark is too dark.

Both cockerels have some red in the earlobes, which I assume needs to be completely white.

I'll also get some photos of my other cockerel. He is the same age as the old cockerel. I actually have him in with the pullets b/c I liked him better.

What about white in the tail feathers? All of the birds have a tail feather that is white half way up and then are barred the rest of the way.

I appreciate the feedback... and please know it doesn't hurt my feelings at all... I want to good critiques on birds.

Speaking of showing (which I do). How should these birds be entered? I was thinking of taking some to Newnan but decided that I didn't want to risk them getting sick since I only have a handful of birds but I do plan to show these in the future. Which class should they be entered into?

Thanks!

Michael

Thanks! I just read over the standard, I had not seen it before. I'll pull out the wings tomorrow and try to get some photos. I'll also fix the older guys wings so you can see the color of the secondaries... I didn't know it was all messed up when taking it.

I had just put the young cockerel in the show coop and he was pretty nervous, I have lots of blurred photos to prove it. He does have a crest that is just starting to come in, but it is there. I don't recall the age difference exactly but I know he is significantly younger than the older cockerel. I was curious about his coloring... I figured it was too dark ("cream" legbars not "gold" legbars) but wasn't sure how dark is too dark.

Both cockerels have some red in the earlobes, which I assume needs to be completely white.

I'll also get some photos of my other cockerel. He is the same age as the old cockerel. I actually have him in with the pullets b/c I liked him better.

What about white in the tail feathers? All of the birds have a tail feather that is white half way up and then are barred the rest of the way.

I appreciate the feedback... and please know it doesn't hurt my feelings at all... I want to good critiques on birds.

Speaking of showing (which I do). How should these birds be entered? I was thinking of taking some to Newnan but decided that I didn't want to risk them getting sick since I only have a handful of birds but I do plan to show these in the future. Which class should they be entered into?

Thanks!

Michael

Michael,

Since they are not yet recognized by the APA , the will go into the Non Specified Class (NSP). I showed 3 cockerels and two pullets in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23, 2013 and Kestlyn Penley showed a cockerel in a show in South Carolina in November, as well. We both have written articles on our show experience which will be published shortly in the Cream Legbar Club Newsletter, First Quarter 2014, Volume 2, No.1. Kestlyn and I are both Regional Directors for the Cream Legbar Club. Kestlyn covers the Southern Region and I cover the Eastern Region.

You should seriously consider joining the Cream Legbar Club especially if you are considering showing your cream legbars.

Here is a link for the club: http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/home

Tony Markley
High Water Hill Farm
Lovettsville, VA

Michael,

Since they are not yet recognized by the APA , the will go into the Non Specified Class (NSP). I showed 3 cockerels and two pullets in the Virginia Poultry Breeders Association show on November 23, 2013 and Kestlyn Penley showed a cockerel in a show in South Carolina in November, as well. We both have written articles on our show experience which will be published shortly in the Cream Legbar Club Newsletter, First Quarter 2014, Volume 2, No.1. Kestlyn and I are both Regional Directors for the Cream Legbar Club. Kestlyn covers the Southern Region and I cover the Eastern Region.

You should seriously consider joining the Cream Legbar Club especially if you are considering showing your cream legbars.

Here is a link for the club: http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/home

Tony Markley
High Water Hill Farm
Lovettsville, VA
Hey Tony! Thanks for the clarification on how to enter them. I'm actually already a member, just joined a month or so ago so I'm not up to par on everything that's going on in the club or what has been written. Is there a place I can download those articles?

I'm in the Pensacola FL area which I assume is Kestlyn's area. I've been to the Pensacola show, Newnan and Lake City so far. I hope to make it to Tennesse, Baton Rouge and an Alabama show this fall.

You can copy the standard from post 2002, or I can send it to you in an easier to print standard form if you PM me your email addy. Pin it to the cage so the judge knows what he's looking for. When entering, Class: English, Breed: Legbar, Variety: Cream. There will most likely be an update to the rooster wing section by mid March. I'm thinking about going to Newnan in the Fall! Maybe we'll see you there.

As you can see in the standard, some white is ok in the rooster sickles. The judge only docked my bird for tail angle, not tail color in November, and my boy has the white sections too.

Ear lobes should be enamel white. Little bits of red will not DQ your bird, but we're finding that little bits turn to more than a little the older the birds are.

Coloring we're finding is a heated topic here :) I often don't explain well what I mean, but when I refer to a bird as gold, what I mean is that they're lacking one or both copies of cream...So the gold isn't diluted to cream. Not that they're a Gold Legbar, as in the first Legbars created. We're finding that the wing bay and sickles are a great place to look on a rooster. If the base color is cream there, and it is barred with gray, you're gtg. Same if there is a bit of chestnut. If there is gold barred with chestnut or darker gold, then the bird is missing at least one copy of cream.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Tony, they'll let you enter in English if you ask. :)

@ Michael, welcome to Region South. As you can see I am behind on my welcome letters...so sorry. Please feel free to contact me if I can help you with anything Cream Legbar related!

creamlegbarclub.com has a bunch of good links for past newsletters, articles, etc. The clubhouse also has lots of great info. If you were not invited by Rinda yet, I can ask her to send you an invite.

Tony, they'll let you enter in English if you ask.
smile.png

@ Michael, welcome to Region South. As you can see I am behind on my welcome letters...so sorry. Please feel free to contact me if I can help you with anything Cream Legbar related!

creamlegbarclub.com has a bunch of good links for past newsletters, articles, etc. The clubhouse also has lots of great info. If you were not invited by Rinda yet, I can ask her to send you an invite.
LOL - Yup, I did ask but was still placed in the NSB since it was not APA. But you are correct in that they really belong in the English class.

Tony, they'll let you enter in English if you ask. :)

I will check and see if I have you added yet. When you get/got your welcome letter there is a link to the Clubhouse where all the documents are stored.

IMO the "gold" designation, needs to definitely be qualified with an IMO rather than stated as a fact, even if stated by one of the Clubs officers or other person. The origination of this really needs further examination. There is a lot of dismissal of Cream Legbars, that is not based on an actual look at the actual genes. It would be nice if this opinion were stated as such.

Back
Top Bottom