Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

He needs a while to fill in yet, but I am not seeing anything major. He does have a serrated blade in the back but that's not a huge biggie. It is nice that his comb stays up and the blade is lifted from his head. It is good to aim for matching hackle and saddle feathers on cocks. He is starting to get his big boy tail. His barring, what I can see of it, looks acceptable. Nice leg color, nice white earlobes, they need a little time to grow out too. I like his long back. I like your pullet too. She has a cute crest that is not too big and not too small. Her shape is nice for her age, she should also fill out well. Her wattles are free of folds, which is super. Your cockerel has some folds/wrinkling on his wattles, not ideal but within acceptable. Your pullet, if her wattles stay like they are, will help you in the future to sort that out. Her comb seems to lean over a bit but I cant really tell from the angle.
I thought I replied but I guess bad connection. Sorry about that. I really appreciate your expertise. I’m really glad I have a decent start to my breeding program. I bought some eggs from a farm during the summer thinking they would lay blue eggs, because I wanted some blue, but my one and only hen laid her first egg and it looks to be green. I’ll have to look for blue in the spring I suppose.

Attachments

• 0FC9BD0B-8184-4D6D-8E37-89BA3BC3A5BF.jpeg
    0FC9BD0B-8184-4D6D-8E37-89BA3BC3A5BF.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 4
I thought I replied but I guess bad connection. Sorry about that. I really appreciate your expertise. I’m really glad I have a decent start to my breeding program. I bought some eggs from a farm during the summer thinking they would lay blue eggs, because I wanted some blue, but my one and only hen laid her first egg and it looks to be green. I’ll have to look for blue in the spring I suppose.
that egg is within acceptable color. Photography of the legbar eggs is difficult due to subtle light causing changes to shading. The original birds from England often has a slight minty green cast over the blue eggs. Don't let her go yet, you can work with this.

that egg is within acceptable color. Photography of the legbar eggs is difficult due to subtle light causing changes to shading. The original birds from England often has a slight minty green cast over the blue eggs. Don't let her go yet, you can work with this.
Yeah, its hard to get the true color in the picture. Even in my hand I struggled to figure out if it was green or considered blue. How can I fix it?

Yeah, its hard to get the true color in the picture. Even in my hand I struggled to figure out if it was green or considered blue. How can I fix it?
did you hatch them yourself? if you did, then you saw what color eggs they came from. The color of egg that the cockerel hatches from can impact his chicks.

did you hatch them yourself? if you did, then you saw what color eggs they came from. The color of egg that the cockerel hatches from can impact his chicks.
Yes, I hatched them but it was only 4 eggs I believe and only the two hatched. I think they were both greenish. I remember being disappointed because I thought all cream legbars laid blue and I might have been played.

Yes, I hatched them but it was only 4 eggs I believe and only the two hatched. I think they were both greenish. I remember being disappointed because I thought all cream legbars laid blue and I might have been played.
unfortunately, while the standard in the US is aiming towards only accepting the blue eggs, I think they are going to have to settle on including the slightly green tinted blue minty eggs too. It is in the english standard to have a range from robin blue to minty blue. The breed itself came with a bit of a range on the eggs. If you can find people who have the C line, or you want to get the original "industrial' group from greenfire (not ree's) I am pretty sure those lines have a more blue color to the eggs. Mine range from blue to blue with mint, and theres a few hens that have had the minty eggs with a few tan speckles on them. Only a few breeds can truly claim to have a real robin's egg blue egg consistently, like ameraucaunas and auracanas.

unfortunately, while the standard in the US is aiming towards only accepting the blue eggs, I think they are going to have to settle on including the slightly green tinted blue minty eggs too. It is in the english standard to have a range from robin blue to minty blue. The breed itself came with a bit of a range on the eggs. If you can find people who have the C line, or you want to get the original "industrial' group from greenfire (not ree's) I am pretty sure those lines have a more blue color to the eggs. Mine range from blue to blue with mint, and theres a few hens that have had the minty eggs with a few tan speckles on them. Only a few breeds can truly claim to have a real robin's egg blue egg consistently, like ameraucaunas and auracanas.
How do I go about looking for the C line?

How do I go about looking for the C line?
unfortunately, That will be more difficult. Most people nowadays do not know what line they have anymore unless they have been breeding for a while, or bought them from someone who informed them of what line they had. Some of the folks on here know. Mine are AB line with no C line. All you can do is ask, really. I believe that Greenfire keeps a C line group available if I remember rightly, but Greenfire is rather spendy.

Back
Top Bottom