Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Hello! I was quite deep into this breed a year or so ago, sold them all but 1 "C" line hen I still have that I purchased directly from Greenfire. I am about to jump back on the chicken wagon again. Despite all the crazy controversy and drama this breed has caused and having the honor of being flogged and shamed by Jill Rees herself. I LOVE THESE CHICKENS!! Thought about a couple other breeds to obsess over But, I keep coming back to these. I am a very small breeder. I did have some wonderful, perfectly laced, Polish that were taken by the local Bald Eagle. After much thought, I have found that the CLs are best suited for my environment.I love the eggs, auto sexing and the crest. So whats up with the SOP? Are we gold, butter, chestnut ? Hopefully we are being true Americans with some diplomacy, coming up with a version that all are pleased with. I saw the first Rees flock at Greenfire a couple years ago and they lacked color on my opinion but, that`s why everyone jumped all over me.LOL.
And find it quite interesting that the REES Legbars at Greenfire prices have dropped dramatically.

nice avatar!

We had a funny conversation about the straight run thing last year LOL! We figured it was a standard page setting thing but definitely weird.
As a word of encouragement about the Rees line. I got one of the good pullets from that line and she won first place at nationals this year. She is a great layer of large light blue eggs and I've gotten a good hatch rate at the house. Like any line that is less than 10 years old you will find some inconsistencies in the offspring of the first Rees birds imported, but there are some great birds out there. Best wishes with your birds!

Edited by Staff
I've had mixed results with the Rees birds. They are harder to sex and not all adults have proper coloration, but I've gotten a few that are great for me to restart my breeding program. I lost all of my Legbars to raccoons and, after putting electric fencing around my whole pen, I decided to get more and went with the Rees birds. They are a good start, but I still need to do a lot of work with them. Right now, I'm pretty happy with the two breeding pens I set up and I'm doing test hatches to hopefully combine the best qualities to improve each generation.

I have enjoyed the info in this thread I have 1 CL rooster and 4 hens

Hi! there are a few CL threads, and sometimes one is more active than another, but they all have useful information.
Thanks for joining the conversation, and please post pics to share with the rest of us, here or on another thread.

Last edited:
. This is my 7month old rooster

Back
Top Bottom