Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

I took some pictures of my second generation of Rees Legbars. My goal with this generation was to improve body type. As a reference, this first photo is an example of a first generation male:

And a first generation female:

As you can see, their tail angles were higher than I'd like and their backs were shorter than I'd like. So, I had two breeding pens. One male with better type over females with better color and a male with better color over females with better type. Here are some examples of generation two:

I am new to this breed. I had the opportunity to buy a small local flock from someone that is cutting back breeds to concentrate on others. I will be picking up a rooster and two more hens ( i have picked up two of them already) so will start with 4 hens. I have only had the two girls for a couple days and love them already. They will be a whole new thing for me having had Silkies for years. I hope to learn a lot her and need to go back to the beginning and start reading!

I am new to this breed. I had the opportunity to buy a small local flock from someone that is cutting back breeds to concentrate on others. I will be picking up a rooster and two more hens ( i have picked up two of them already) so will start with 4 hens. I have only had the two girls for a couple days and love them already. They will be a whole new thing for me having had Silkies for years. I hope to learn a lot her and need to go back to the beginning and start reading!

Welcome to all things Cream Legbars! Thanks for sharing your new flock and for picking up where another has left off. It's helpful for the larger Cream Legbar community to not lose breeding programs. Have you had a chance to look at the Cream Legbar Club website?

Ok, I found a guy to get hatching eggs from in driving distance. Finally. These pics look good. But then he sent me these ...

These look like Easter egger / Americauna mutts. He says it's a normal variation and they are full blooded CLBs. Should I believe him or is he trying to pull a fast one ? Trying to start with the best possible birds. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you very much!!!

You may want to consider looking elsewhere. The male appears to have single barring. Although it is difficult to tell from photos. The last two females do as you noticed appear to hav EE style muffs.

There is a variation in CL, but many raisers have achieved a high degree of consistency in their flocks, keep your options open!

Last edited:

Ok, I found a guy to get hatching eggs from in driving distance. Finally. These pics look good. But then he sent me these ...

These look like Easter egger / Americauna mutts. He says it's a normal variation and they are full blooded CLBs. Should I believe him or is he trying to pull a fast one ? Trying to start with the best possible birds. Please give me your thoughts. Thank you very much!!!
Based on the last two pictures, the hens do not appear to be consistent with the proposed Standard of Perfection; the muffs and beards are glaring inconsistencies. I would add that their overall body types also look more like Ameraucanas than Cream Legbars, and they are excessively fluffy for Cream Legbars.

If you are only looking for blue egg layers, I'd be interested to see their egg color compared to examples of a very blue Ameraucana and some typical Cream Legbars.

Last edited:
No...don't believe him. He is trying to pull a fast one on you.

I found this article yesterday from an 1921 article on the difference between English White Leghorn and APA type Leghorns. I thought it might be interesting to anyone who is working on Cream Legbars. The Legbars was based on the English Leghorn Type. Many wrongly try to breed the Legbar to an APA leghorn type (and to be fair the APA legbar will likely get some of those APA influences in terms of the tail, etc.). Still knowing the differences between the English and APA birds may help people understand the Legbar breed.

Last edited:
I found this article yesterday from an 1921 article on the difference between English White Leghorn and APA type Leghorns. I thought it might be interesting to anyone who is working on Cream Legbars. The Legbars was based on the English Leghorn Type. Many wrongly try to breed the Legbar to an APA leghorn type (and to be fair the APA leghorn will likely get some of those APA influences in therm of the tail, etc.). Still knowing the differences between the English and APA birds may help people understand the Legbar breed.

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for positing. Do you have any pictures of cockerels from this article?

I think these photos illustrate visual balance with the American Leghorn, but not so much with the English leghorn.
@fowlman01 would you consider commenting on that?

Back
Top Bottom