Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

They look female to me, may I see their eyes for the eyemarkings? Their crisp chimpunk stripes scream female to me, whereas males are all blurry markings, and usually have grey tones more than brown.

They look female to me, may I see their eyes for the eyemarkings? Their crisp chimpunk stripes scream female to me, whereas males are all blurry markings, and usually have grey tones more than brown.

I think I will keep the ones that people are not sure if pullets or roosters. I know that the rooster should be a cream color when grown, so is it best to keep the roosters chicks with the lightest color or should I post them on here and the experts can tell me the ones I should keep :)

Down color on males doesn't tell us much about his adult coloration in regards to cream versus golden crele, at least mine never have. I'm pretty sure there are several postings regarding this, can't remember exactly which, but that chick is definitely a pullet.

I think I will keep the ones that people are not sure if pullets or roosters. I know that the rooster should be a cream color when grown, so is it best to keep the roosters chicks with the lightest color or should I post them on here and the experts can tell me the ones I should keep :)

I think you will find @Bantambird and @Duluthralphie have a good eye for all things Legbars.

For Cream Legbars and Golden Crele Legbars, you should be able to identify gender; the Whites are known to have inconsistent patterns at birth due to the variabilities of the recessive white gene.

Like most patterns, repetition is the key. In this case, seeing more examples will help to establish that visual reference.

As to light and dark down colors, that also requires repetition to learn what your flock is showing and how it grows out. Very light or dark down colors are more predictable when they are the result of repeated pairings. @GaryDean26 and @ChicKat have posted a number of related articles. Growing out multiple cockerels for as long as possible is the best bet.

In any case, the adult Legbar has a number of elements that should be considered when developing a breeding program. Where you start will develop in a variety of areas which makes it more interesting than just a headspot or light and dark down. The proposed Standard of Perfection and some related charts are available on the Cream Legbar club website. The website is open to the general public and the support of new members is always welcome.

Keep checking the website for the new look which will go live during April!

You have a long time before you start picking the best pullet or roo about 6 months at least they do a lot of changes and those little gene flaws pop up give them to strut there stuff
have a good morning
Harry

You have a long time before you start picking the best pullet or roo about 6 months at least they do a lot of changes and those little gene flaws pop up give them to strut there stuff
have a good morning
Harry

I do it at all ages.

The first thing I look at is feet.

You can tell quite young which one has a crooked toe or foot, or stands on his/her legs funny.

For me it is more of a case of eliminating for errors than picking to show. As it gets closer to show time I start picking the ones I want to show. Being aware a good show bird is not always the one I want to breed.

My rooster from last falls shows has not been used to breed yet this year. I had younger birds that had other traits I wanted. Also the tail set was a little high for my liking, but overall he was my best show bird last fall. Age plays into picking to show. I keep a lot of January and February birds for show.

I very well could get a better breeder in May.

Also personality plays into it. If the bird is not good in a cage, easy to handle and not afraid of other people (judges) plays a part too.

If I was picking just for breeders all these aspects would go into also, the exception being age.

I hope this helps.......

@sol2go I went to the website yesterday. I see it is not quite ready. I need to join so please let me know when it is ready. Being older than dirt, I sometime miss things. (like it is open to take my money)...
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom