Cream Legbars

My Cream Legbars are very friendly, great foragers and excellent layers and mothers. They also lay blue eggs which is my particular favorite feature, but the most useful is autosexing. Being able to tell the difference at hatch is awesome! Two things I don't 'like so much...sometimes you get a people agressive rooster, which I don't keep in my program, and the rooster straight combs don't all fare well in freezing temps if they don't tuck their heads at night.
x2 to everything
except I haven't had rooster problems (only a few examples of this breed)
I can pick up my CL rooster anytime and he manages the other roosters well without being aggressive. He is very good with the hens, their feathers usually look pretty good and the eggs have all been fertile.
The hens are just as nice. Some are a little sassy, others quietly attentive.

Thank you KPenley and sol2go for the info. I do have a preference for non-crested and non-flighty birds. I don't see myself breeding them for anything other than egg production. I really just love the crele coloring, kind of wish I could have a yard full of the roosters, LOL

I am curious about where to find info on conditioning chickens for a show.

Do you mean the months before the show or cleaning, etc the days before a show?

There is a good article here:
http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/tips-on-conditioning-showing-poultry.html

and another one here:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/PS/ps03700.pdf

Also in the latest club newsletter there were several good articles about showing:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e00ro7e9sbo8pcq/CLC Newsletter 2.1.pdf

Mornin everybody! Love all the new posts. Just hatched out 12/15 yesterday. 50% Roos. Once again, all the girls are traditional brown chipmunks. But the boys!! Light beige, taupe (tan without any red), dark grey-ish and charcoal w/ a yellow head. I know I promised I'd follow chick down progression, but I still didn't buy any bands.... I'll hv to order online, no local distributors. And I have a question: I thought I read that the "experts" want to see better barring on the CLB Roos? I kept one from last hatch that has great barring but his chest is very charcoal. Is the darker color not good? How to you get crisp barring without good contrast between light and dark? I'm gonna keep him anyway, so far he looks better in other respects than his sire: bigger, so far a straight comb and no white in tail. Light cream hackles and saddles w/ only a small amt of chestnut on wings. I'm gonna replace one of my others cuz he's getting aggressive! No place for that at my house! I just sent my old RIR roo to heaven (or hell??) last week when he attacked me while I was wearing shorts and latched on my leg w/ his spurs!! My leg bled like stink and got a little infected even tho I washed it out good w/ Betadine. Kinda sad, but I'm not going to be terrorized in my own barnyard!!!

I am curious about where to find info on conditioning chickens for a show.

I like poultryshowcentral.com the best, it's really helpful!

Thank you KPenley and sol2go for the info. I do have a preference for non-crested and non-flighty birds. I don't see myself breeding them for anything other than egg production. I really just love the crele coloring, kind of wish I could have a yard full of the roosters, LOL

Keep your ears open in your area. There may be people culling birds lacking crests near you this season!

@sweetdreamin, dark charcoal barring is best for barring in the chest. I use bands I ordered here on BYC for babies. They are easier that zip ties, but those small ones work well too. I'm so sorry you got attacked by your roo. I hope you heal well!

New Cream Legbars

Over the weekend, I had eleven chicks hatch. Three cream legbars with normal colors (1 cockerel and 2 pullets), two white-sport cream legbars (1 cockerel and 1 pullet), one cream legbar X buff orpington cross, and two that I believe are SFH. Pictures are taken in the mid-late afternoon sunlight.

A cockerel from my best rooster and a true cream pullet.

This is "Tex". She was the only chick to hatch from 12 eggs that I got from Curtis. The PO really did a fine job of scrambling the eggs. 10/12 had broken air sacks, 6/12 failed to develop, 4/12 blood ringed, and 1/12 was a late quitter.

This is a pullet from my best rooster and a gold/cream pullet. She is a tiny thing but very loud!

Back
Top Bottom