Cream Legbars

So, I'm freaking out a bit. We've only sold one chick, and have three left and 32 eggs in the incubator. How long does it usually take yours to sell? Maybe I'm just priced too high? Maybe I just have to list them as blue egg layers? Like keep the Cream listing, but then a separate listing for just blue egg layers and not say what they are? Not really in it to make money, but I do need to sell the little ladies, can't keep them all.

So, I'm freaking out a bit. We've only sold one chick, and have three left and 32 eggs in the incubator. How long does it usually take yours to sell? Maybe I'm just priced too high? Maybe I just have to list them as blue egg layers? Like keep the Cream listing, but then a separate listing for just blue egg layers and not say what they are? Not really in it to make money, but I do need to sell the little ladies, can't keep them all.
seems like you are keeping them all

LOL three options- your price is too high for your area, or people aren't looking for chicks yet (especially if you still have snow on the ground), or people are wanting pullets closer to lay (some don't want to mess with a brooder).

If I were you I would probably wait a little longer before freaking and dumping them cheap. You can always sell a female a little later as long as you have some temporary pen space somewhere for in the meantime.

what are you selling them for? one year ago the Legbar chicks were going for 435 and now I see them for $20 and up....

Well, I have found a solution for my excess cockerels that I cannot sell. I intend to caponize them. During the first weekend on of March, I worked with a mentor to caponize nine marans cockerels. I own the "Chinese tools" which make the process easier. So the excess cockerels will grow out as fatter, heavier, laid back, non-crowing, tender capons for the table. If anyone is interested in learning to caponize there is an excellent thread on BYC and some great teachers/mentors for learning this old time art.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675898/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize
goodpost.gif

Edited: I must have like this post. I answered it twice.
lau.gif

Last edited:
I have them priced at $25. Thought that was pretty reasonable.
My husband keeps telling me to calm down, they'll sell eventually. We do have the room, just in case.

I agree with your DH relax and wait a bit. It may be a little too early for some people to be interested in chicks just yet. I think $25 is very reasonably priced I wouldn't be quick to lower it just because someone hasnt responded right away, your chicks are only a few days old right? Don't stress they will sell if not now then shortly down the road.

Just last week I sold 2 day old pullet chicks for $30each to the same person. I wasn't sure if $30 was too high but she was very happy and willing to pay that for them. I also have many other people asking for CL pullet chicks at that same price and I don't even have and ad up anywhere for my CL. I think Blue eggs are just very desirable these days.

Last edited:
I have them priced at $25. Thought that was pretty reasonable.
My husband keeps telling me to calm down, they'll sell eventually. We do have the room, just in case.

hang tight.....it's a bad time to sell...once the sun comes out, it seems like people want chicks.....hang on to them as they will sell quick once they are off the heat lamp....a lot of people are not set up to raise day olds and want chicks that are off the heat lamp....

You know, for me, the minute the sun is out for a couple days in a row, I'm in Spring mode. Outside, planning and doing. So it was odd to me that people aren't jumping on chicks. It does make sense to give them more time.
Thanks guys, very reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom