Cream Legbars

i was just reading the genetics page for the crele variety of the cream legbars. it was much too long and too much for me to process. the thing that caught my eye, however was the difference in colors. I have 2 roosters, one is mostly black and white and one is very colorful. i was thinking that the one was a cross, but i was assured they are pure CL, he was going to go to the freezer this weekend... he lost most of his comb and the ends of all of his toes to frostbite in our horribly cold past winter.

I am going to offer him here, if anyone would like to use him. he is a nice bird with a straight comb (when he had it!) but I like the colorful variety myself. this is a juvenile picture of him, last fall, he was about 20 weeks old. I can get new pictures if anyone is interested, otherwise he is going with the CX!

he has similar stance to "rusty"and has a decent tail and angle. i dont have many picture of him because i wasnt planning on keeping him!

this is a "brother" Rusty from an earlier hatch who i will be keeping

I'd like to see more recent pictures of the first rooster and see if @KPenley would weigh in. He is definitely a different color palette than Rusty.

I realize the alternative / crele thread is sort of long, but it looks like Rusty might be split for cream due to his gold wing triangle, for example; there is some dissension on that "tell".
Rusty sure looks stout and has nice barring in his tail, great white earlobes, and a straight comb!!

I'd like to see more recent pictures of the first rooster and see if @KPenley
 would weigh in.  He is definitely a different color palette than Rusty.

I realize the alternative / crele thread is sort of long, but it looks like Rusty might be split for cream due to his gold wing triangle, for example; there is some dissension on that "tell".
Rusty sure looks stout and has nice barring in his tail, great white earlobes, and a straight comb!!

Are you asking my opinion about their coloring by genetics? Without seeing updated pictures, I would assume that the first rooster received a cream copy from both parents (though I'd need to see adult feathers grown in) and the second is either a one or no copy of cream Legbar. Rusty is a beautiful bird with lots of pluses in the shape department! His large amounts of red suggest a lack of gold inhibitor or an over abundance of Autosomal red. But these are pluses for breeders who are developing a darker crele variety! If the first rooster is shaped like Rusty he will be a big help to anyone breeding the cream variety.

More and more I'm thinking crowing female on Paula -- cute shoulder chickens. I wonder if the same hormones that are causing crowing will also wreak havoc with her egg-laying.
I'm ok with irregular egg production if that ends up being an issue - s/he has all the makings of a sweet pet chicken regardless. I just don't want any true adult rooster aggression or overmating down the line (with only two hens) causing problems with my mini-starter flock... All fingers and toes remain crossed!!!

Well first 2 CLB out are boys. 3rd pipped crazy slow hatch
I love hearing about hatches in progress - so exciting!
pop.gif

Here's hoping for more healthy little ones. You know we want pictures, right?

Are you asking my opinion about their coloring by genetics? Without seeing updated pictures, I would assume that the first rooster received a cream copy from both parents (though I'd need to see adult feathers grown in) and the second is either a one or no copy of cream Legbar. Rusty is a beautiful bird with lots of pluses in the shape department! His large amounts of red suggest a lack of gold inhibitor or an over abundance of Autosomal red. But these are pluses for breeders who are developing a darker crele variety! If the first rooster is shaped like Rusty he will be a big help to anyone breeding the cream variety.

of course he started molting! He's a hot mess but I tried to get a decent picture. I will hold off on the freezer for a while!

Thanks KPenley. Yes, I was asking about their apparent phenotype and possible coloring genetics. I also thought the first rooster looked more correct for double cream than Rusty. I'm not sure if @mollybuck realized that, as the post referenced a long thread for the crele variety of the cream leg bar (maybe the Alternative SOP discussion?).

The first rooster also has amazing barring, similar to some of the differences @ChicKat posted regarding light and dark barred Plymouth Rocks. I also have a Cream Legbar rooster that didn't get a smidgeon of cream, but has that incredible dark barring.

I agree, @mollybuck has some substantial looking boys there!

KPenley, would you mind discussing the differences between
large amounts of red suggest a lack of gold inhibitor or an over abundance of Autosomal red
I can see that these two cases would be pluses for breeders of the more colorful crele variety (hello @KendyF ).
And I have seen how cream roosters become more monochromatic.

When you refer to a gold inhibitor are you referring to Cream or another type of Dilute? I'm thinking of a recent post by @dretd (that I can't find quickly) and a thread that I have also read in an old "classroom" discussion of CL's. Is there a problem with another Dilute in the Cream genotype?

@mollybuck, thank you for the pics! And you have given us a great example of why we need to let our cockerels grow out as long as possible before choosing breeders. Grown in, that first cock does not look very much like a Legbar. I would guess that he is a cross since the barring is off and appears to only be showng like one set instead of two. Plus he may have been crossed with a silver meatier bird. Rusty definitely is closer to standard, in fact he looks pretty close color rise in those pics. For pairings, I would look for hens with long bodies, low tail sets, and deep breasts (long keels). If you would like to pursue cream, definitely look for hens with gray barred bodies. If you would like to pursue a more golden crele, then look for hens with reddish gray brown ( is that taupe?) bodies and darker golden hackles. Looks like your gut was right on! Sorry for any confusion and thank you again for taking pics. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom