Cream Legbars

Thank you. I am just in love with this breed.
love.gif

I drove down to NH to get them...I haven't seen many breeders up here in Maine.

Does anyone know of any? It's would be nice to have a connection close by.
Congratulations on your chicks!!!

Here is a link to the member page in the Cream Legbar Club---maybe you can find someone near you!
http://www.creamlegbarclub.com/04-membership

I see that there isn't anyone in Maine right NOW -- but keep checking from time-to-time---maybe someone will join and you will have a close by contact...otherwise...perhaps someone from the BYC forum is from Maine......

So many boys hatching! I've got 4 boys now, 5 more pipped...no girls yet. Geez.
Was told to raise the temp a half degree, going to try that next hatch if the last of the pipped chicks aren't female. Making me crazy.

I went to an auction this morning to pick up some cheap eggs for the incubator and accidentally bought a pair of cream legbars home! I've never had them before but I've been interested in the breed for a while and I just couldn't resist. I think the comb on the hen's a bit bigger than it should be, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong with them (not that that means much from me, haha). I'd love to hear some critiquing to know what I should look for if I decide to get another.

Going by spur size, I think he's around the 3-4 year old mark. I've never had such a huge rooster!

I went to an auction this morning to pick up some cheap eggs for the incubator and accidentally bought a pair of cream legbars home! I've never had them before but I've been interested in the breed for a while and I just couldn't resist. I think the comb on the hen's a bit bigger than it should be, but I don't see anything glaringly wrong with them (not that that means much from me, haha). I'd love to hear some critiquing to know what I should look for if I decide to get another.

Going by spur size, I think he's around the 3-4 year old mark. I've never had such a huge rooster!
you picked up some interesting chickens there. Where are you located?
Last year I despurred my CL rooster---and the spurs were 2" long---and he was around 2-years old....

Nice white earlobes on both of them. The neck hackles on your hen appear very dark in the photo on my computer, we are just now starting to really talk about the melanizers that bring in the 'blacks' --- Does your hen lay blue eggs?

Welcome to the BYC Forum and to Cream Legbars!!

Last edited:
you picked up some interesting chickens there. Where are you located?
Last year I despurred my CL rooster---and the spurs were 2" long---and he was around 2-years old....

Nice white earlobes on both of them. The neck hackles on your hen appear very dark in the photo on my computer, we are just now starting to really talk about the melanizers that bring in the 'blacks' --- Does your hen lay blue eggs?

Welcome to the BYC Forum and to Cream Legbars!!
I'm about twenty minutes from Raleigh, NC.
I honestly haven't kept many cockerels long enough to see spurs grow out that long, but it'd be pretty nice if he were a little younger. My roommates are convinced he's going to end up eviscerating me, so I suppose I'll have to have do something about them soonish. He's surprisingly non-aggressive though. Is that typical for the breed?

The hen is pretty dark, and I haven't seen any eggs out of her yet. If I'm lucky, she'll lay tomorrow, but after a long day at the auction, she's probably pretty stressed out.

And thank you!

I'm about twenty minutes from Raleigh, NC.
I honestly haven't kept many cockerels long enough to see spurs grow out that long, but it'd be pretty nice if he were a little younger. My roommates are convinced he's going to end up eviscerating me, so I suppose I'll have to have do something about them soonish. He's surprisingly non-aggressive though. Is that typical for the breed?

The hen is pretty dark, and I haven't seen any eggs out of her yet. If I'm lucky, she'll lay tomorrow, but after a long day at the auction, she's probably pretty stressed out.

And thank you!

Don't be surprised if it takes her up to 2 weeks to start laying again, that's common after the stress of an auction.

Roosters are very easy to despur, there are several youtube videos. Use bare hands or even a pair of pliers- quick twist and pull straight out. There may be a drop of blood, you can put cornstarch, flour, or blukote on the spur nub if you want.

So many boys hatching! I've got 4 boys now, 5 more pipped...no girls yet. Geez.
Was told to raise the temp a half degree, going to try that next hatch if the last of the pipped chicks aren't female. Making me crazy.
Raising (or lowering) the temperature does nothing to affect the sex of a chick. That is determined by the genes of the bird and not the temperature. However, there was a published study that indicated that raising the temperature by a degree did affect the hatch rate of males (in a bad way). It was meant for commercial hatcheries hatching millions of commercial lines of poultry. So if you are trying to prevent males from hatching, you could try this. But the sex is determined by the genes just like with humans.

Raising (or lowering) the temperature does nothing to affect the sex of a chick.  That is determined by the genes of the bird and not the temperature.  However, there was a published study that indicated that raising the temperature by a degree did affect the hatch rate of males (in a bad way).  It was meant for commercial hatcheries hatching millions of commercial lines of poultry.  So if you are trying to prevent males from hatching, you could try this.  But the sex is determined by the genes just like with humans.

So, what you're saying is, it may be causing the male chicks to just die...not turn all eggs into female chicks? The whole thing was just a desperate idea anyways. We've finally got our hatch rate back up, and the number of males hatching is crazy. On another odd note, our sex-link Cream mix eggs, never develop. Not this time, and not last time. I'm guessing that has something to do with the sex-links?

Aloha, Why create sex-links? Why not breed your CL roo to your CL hens and make auto sex chicks? Does your roo not have enough sperm to go around? Whatever pure colored male youʻre using perhaps is not getting the job done. Ahem.

I think my temp must be high since I hatch at 20 days sometimes. I tried lowering it a tad and had a bad hatch.

kden, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom