Creating a new breed

I'm planning to breed my best "layers" with the Biggest, strongest, healthiest. Maybe just always be (in my Lifetime) "Mutts".

But, I need to study more "genetics" and improve my record-keeping...(Can't keep it all in my head).

I also need to set up a "chicken gymnasium" to test for strength, stamina, etc.

I probably will need the services of a "personal trainer" for my chickens.

Or maybe, I'll just feed them and let them feed me eggs.

I'm gettin' kinda lazy lately.
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I am planning to cross turkens and a polish. Then have Pulkens!!

Or Turkish
big_smile.png

My mottled orps should be just about ready next year if you'd like a jump start on them. These are not from the Speckled breeding, but a separate project.

Are they black? I'd like a roo
love.gif

Quote:
if you can make that work, OMG ill take 10 XD

We are going to get the turkens this coming week. I already have white crested black polish's. I am hoping that it works like a silkie turken cross (showgirl). After the first gen. I am going to breed them with straight polish and continue doing that. In a showgirl you continue to breed them to a silkie. Once the naked neck is in its hard to lose that. Hopefully it will stay in them. Hopefully it works well. We have two Polish roosters so it should work well. Should we incubate? Or do turkens go broody good?

Last edited:
I have Campiningtons.
Gold Campines and Buff Orpingtons.
This is my second year. The pullets look much better than the roosters. I am not sure how to fix it. I need more barring in the roosters. When I breed this years pullets back to a Gold Campine I think that will help.

I also have NNEE's (Naked Neck Easter Eggers)

Last edited:
Quote:
silkies arent really like a crest. I dont know how to explain it. I see what your saying but that wouldnt be a silkie. That would be more like a polish silkie cross. which I have some and they carry either one look or the other (quite ugly).

S&SPoultryExchange :

Quote:
silkies arent really like a crest. I dont know how to explain it. I see what your saying but that wouldnt be a silkie. That would be more like a polish silkie cross. which I have some and they carry either one look or the other (quite ugly).

So you're saying that the whole "White/Black Crested so-and-so" is only a Polish thing? There isn't anyway to get it into the Silkies?​

I want to cross my RIR roo with my Black Australrop girls.
I saw a pic of that crossing before and they are absolutely gorgeous! So I want some for myself. But that won't happen till next year. The girls are still too young.

Quote:
I have had a couple of blue silkies with a feather or two in their crests that are white. I have seen photos of young silkies with white crests, that do not carry into adult plumage. From what I have read, the genetics for different colour in the crest is not researched and documented, but is probably recessive. Personally, I think a wcb silkie would look grand.

Quote:
I have had a couple of blue silkies with a feather or two in their crests that are white. I have seen photos of young silkies with white crests, that do not carry into adult plumage. From what I have read, the genetics for different colour in the crest is not researched and documented, but is probably recessive. Personally, I think a wcb silkie would look grand.

Thanks Sonoran. I agree that a WCB would also looking stunning.

Back
Top Bottom