Creating a new breed

sorry I meant For eggs!...or would you breed sultan roo's to hamburg hens and keep hens and then breed hamburg roo to sultan hen for roo's and then only breed the best layers to the most sultan type roo? did that make any sence???

Does anyone know if there's,like,a "new breed form"from the APA?Are there trials?I'm trying create a "true"breed,and before I start I want to find out as much as I can.

I am thinking about trying (and gosh am I crazy, this sounds hard even to me...) :

- bantams
- olive eggers
- color of Olandsk dwarf
- fluffy feathering like a Hedemora/Silkie...

Maybe I could just shove some EE bantams, silkies, Welsummer bantams, and Olandsks in a pen and hope for the best?

I think we're all crazy for entertaining the thought. :p Kidding. Maybe you should look up the genes that cause those traits.That way,you can breed more methodically.Although,the "shove everything in and see what happens" approach could be interesting,too.

I really think we should just pick a breed and try to improve it. there are already breeds that exist that aren't in the apa standard. if these don't have enough interest to be able to show, then why create another breed?

I really think we should just pick a breed and try to improve it. there are already breeds that exist that aren't in the apa standard. if these don't have enough interest to be able to show, then why create another breed?
I agree. there are many breeds in need of conservators. If one looks around, it's very possible one very like the one desired may already exist.
If one wants rarest of the rare, check the conservation lists. There are vintage breeds in dire nee dof conservation. The Barred Holland comes
to mind. Want fame or to "make a difference"? Look at the prestige, respect and acclaim Kathy in Missouri has attained with her dedicated
recreation of the Delaware breed. This is the kind of dedication the elite in the poultry world take notice of. Just want to be creative and/or
don't care about acclaim? The plethora of sex-linked genes in poultry even a well established breed...let alone a very rare one!...will
provide plenty of challenge in a breeding program
Best Regards,
Karen in western PA, USA

or try to remake a breed that was lost or almost lost like the lamona, Delaware blue or a lost color from a breed that still exists but not in that certain color. more rewarding than just putting 2 birds together.

or try to remake a breed that was lost or almost lost like the lamona, Delaware blue or a lost color from a breed that still exists but not in that certain color. more rewarding than just putting 2 birds together.
Yup. good advice. A real challenge, breeding a Black-Breasted Red Marans.
Best,
Karen

well, with me it was the cubalayas. the standard colors of bb red, white, and black. the whites are sports that breed pure for color and were the easiest. the bb reds that I am grading asil and thai gamefowl into to increase size and improve a few other things. the blacks that were created by saladin(I found another strain of pure and added) and have been trying to get the red and white out of the males. the hens are very good to show now. the other colors have been gold duckwing, red pyle and brown red. will probably only be able to keep the duckwings and try to get the size up on them. I may have the other colors show up from rotating cocks to different breed pens.

hey, im interested in making new breeds to...acctually when i showed at the fair this year i had a bantam that was a cross between a sumatra and an araucauna bantam... the judge said that i could make a new breed from him if i had more at home (which i do)...i just didnt no how...and i have a pigeon that is a cross between a chinese owl and a bronze show tippler....and man is that pigeon beautiful!...on its chest instead of the feathers splitting up and down like the chinese owl...the feathers are vertical and pinched outward sorta...i was amazed by this...maby i can get a picture or 2 and show you

Back
Top Bottom