Creating muscovy flock

Due to bad care,the Muscovys wouldn’t go up in their cage,and when made an attempt to catch they scratched us up.She thinks it breed related but I keep telling her all ducks scratch and flap when you pick them up.
That is true. I don't think they like getting put to bed at night. I have to herd mine in each night and never pick them up - I just keep at it until they go in their house. Muscovy have sharp claws so, if you do pick them up, you need long sleeves. Plus you have to hold their wings - all birds flap if you don't hold their wings.
When I was young, my first bird was a parakeet. And then my sister got one. My sister's bit us any time we picked it up. Mean little thing. Birds are like that though - we are predatory to them, so they use their defenses on us.

You can vent sex them to be sure. I vent sexed two 1 month olds amd both are boys. Here is a good picture instruction to use.
View attachment 1445721
You vent sexed muscovies? I would make sure to be wearing some long gloves - if the claws dont get you, the poop flying sure will. ;)
If the OP vent sexes, they should have someone who knows how show them first. I have read it is harder the older they get.
Muscovies are actually easier to sex by sight younger than other domestic duck breeds.

Fun pic of Waldo wanting watermelon to share.
image.jpeg
I bite a piece in half, he gets the other half. This guy can out eat me when it comes to watermelon! He will also eat peas from my hand.

Sure did. A towel works to hold the claws back
If I remember right, you are pretty versed in poultry, inexperience can lead to harming the duckling. I can't imagine trying to vent sex an 8 week old muscovy.
Just me though.
I have dealt with lots though in the 15 weeks I have had my Muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom