Creating new chicken breeds

Chocolate_Chick

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
I posted this in the general breeds discussion but then started to look through the Exhibition, Genetics and & Breeding forum and thought it would fit better here, hope you don't mind.

I was reading a post from 2011, and the poster had asked whether it was possible to create a new breed of chicken and if so how would someone get recognition for doing this. It was an interesting thread to read through. A few responses mention having their own breeding projects on the go with the intention of trying to create a new breed. Not necessarily for profit but for their own interests.

I was wondering how far people who have tried to create their own breeds have gotten and would be interested to see the results of the birds they've breed after a few generations?

For clarity, I do not have a breeding project due to limited space - but in the future would be interested in trying it purely as a fun project. My own interest would be in creating a super friendly bird with unusual markings/colours, so certainly not something that would be marketable.

There are lots and lots and lots of successful breeding projects out there. Almost anyone who breeds/hatches probably daydreams of creating their own chicken breed. I own a newer "designer" breed, the Mosaic, which is a hot commodity due to the rare(ish) fibro genetics. Another popular chicken breeder that has done detailed documentation of their breed creation is the Aloha chicken out of Arizona.

As these are both relatively new examples there's not a lot of standardization yet, but as this site and other social media platforms allow more collaboration and breeding opportunities its fun to see where people's ambitions take them. A good example is @MysteryChicken 's plan to develop the Emerald Dragon--lots of like-minded and well-versed-in-genetics chicken folk are chiming in to help in the creation.

I posted this in the general breeds discussion but then started to look through the Exhibition, Genetics and & Breeding forum and thought it would fit better here, hope you don't mind.

I was reading a post from 2011, and the poster had asked whether it was possible to create a new breed of chicken and if so how would someone get recognition for doing this. It was an interesting thread to read through. A few responses mention having their own breeding projects on the go with the intention of trying to create a new breed. Not necessarily for profit but for their own interests.

I was wondering how far people who have tried to create their own breeds have gotten and would be interested to see the results of the birds they've breed after a few generations?

For clarity, I do not have a breeding project due to limited space - but in the future would be interested in trying it purely as a fun project. My own interest would be in creating a super friendly bird with unusual markings/colours, so certainly not something that would be marketable.
I’ve gotten pretty far but I think I still have a ways to go. It’s been about 7-8 years and I’ve gone through thousands of birds but I’ve made progress. I’m trying to make a breed that looks like a Black Bekisar except cold hardy, fertile and calm/domeatic. I’m trying to get long tails on them but I feel like the color is good.
Hen:
IMG_2693.jpeg

Rooster:
IMG_0060.jpeg

But built more like this:

IMG_2706.jpeg

But a tail like this:
IMG_1559.jpeg

I am working on a cold hardy blue type with small or no comb and earlobes and a full beard, and short feathering on the feet similar to Pavlovskaya. I guess the ideal bird would look kinda like a blue Pavlovskaya but one that lays blue/greenish eggs. I am only at the very beginning and it's all because I accidentally had a hybrid chick hatch last year. She is a cross between a splash Silverudds blue rooster and a British Lavender Araucana hen. For the 2024 season I've paired her to a blue Silverudds blue rooster and both birds have some brown in their feathering which I think is pretty, and encourage :D here is a picture collage of the hen with her parents which I no longer have. Will post a pic of her and the blue Silverudds rooster as well as the chicks I get from them this year. I kept her with my black rumpless araucana hens for a while and she laid eggs the same colour as the araucanas.

Attachments

• Silverudds blue x British lavender araucana 2023.jpg
    Silverudds blue x British lavender araucana 2023.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 3
Another project I'd like to work on is speckled sussex x silver spangled hamburg. I wonder if I could get a speckled hamburg looking bird.

i created a composite breed using various oriental gamefowl. bred them as 2 families by color calling one the black crushers and the other blue crushers. i am now crossing the 2 colors into one breed and just calling them crushers. i will post pics if anyone is interested. this has taken many years and much selection and culling. you will never create a breed in 2 or 3 years or using very few birds. it takes a lot of birds to select from at first and you also have to know a lot about the birds you use to create them. i will not reveal the percentages or my exact breeding tecniques but some of the breeds i used were: pakistan asil, indian asil, brazilian, viper, and ga plucker

Back
Top Bottom