Creative Coop Names

Pics

navychick

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
I would like a clever name for our coop and am looking for inspiration. Would you share what you call your Coop.

I briefly pondered 'Tweety's Farm', which is a Chicken Run reference. Surely I'm not the only one who loved that movie? You remember, claymation done by that Wallace and Gromet guy. had a great line in it: 'That ginger one, she's the leader!'. We have a ginger one, and sure enough, she's the leader, always trying to escape.
The name I settled upon was a way to thumb my nose at my jerk neighbor. He must have overheard me talking about chickens, and got upset, so he stormed over and tried to intimidate me into not keeping those 'dirty, smelly birds'. I told him I wasn't building a chicken coop, but was instead building a tool shed.
So now I plan on mounting a plaque over the door that reads TOOL SHED.

Ours is The Entertainment Center
smile.png

We're history geeks, historical reenactors, and live in an 18thc. house in New Hampshire. When we got our coop and first chickens last year, we added "period style features" to our coop so that it looked nice with our old home. We made a diamond paned leaded window, added a punched tin lantern night light on the outside, etc. All around the area we built a fence of fairly tall sapling trees we cut down in the woods. When we stood back looking at our lovely coop, my hubby said, "With that fence around it, it looks like a stockade fort like at 17thc. Jamestown", LOL!
That gave us the idea for our coop name!
We had a long, weathered, salvaged 18thc. board. Hubby is creative and has an art degree. He painted 'FORT ORPINGTON' with black paint on the board in 17thc. style script!
(We have 6 buff orpington hens).
We also cut a tall tree as a flag pole and put it up by the coop. We fly our late 17thc. British flag, to complete the picture---(We are historical reenactors, belonging to a Brit rev war group among other things.)
Here are a few photos, but you can see more on our own website here:

www.thecountryladyantiques.com

summeryard7.jpg

coop_covershot1.jpg

brightwindowhens.jpg

paintcoop4.jpg

july_yard5.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom