Crele?

There has been two different ER Birchen alleles identified, the European one commonly found in Games, Sebrights etc, and the African found in the Fayoumi. They have very different hatch down.
At the protein level there has been 3 e+ Duckwing alleles found, but I do not think the differences have any great import to exhibition poultry breeders.
es Speckled, eqs Queen Sylvia & ebc Buttercup have all been found to be variants of eb Brown.
Wheaten ,in isolation, is usually after ER in the table of dominance, but when in combination with certain recessive black genes becomes the most recessive of all the 'e' alleles.
David

Quote:
"meat-type barred rock"

I beleve that it would be a Barred Rock Rooster over a Columbian Rock Hen.. The offspring male and female should be Barred..
The "meat" type Black Rock would be a White rock Rooster over a Columbian Hen (I beleve) the offspring male and female should be Black...

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
Not all black birds have melanotic, some black birds have other genes that produce the same effect. Melanotic is the melanizer that is most often found in chickens. The columbian gene can be found in extended black birds. A breeder does not know if an extended black bird carries the columbian gene because the columbian gene has no effect upon the extended black gene.

It is possible that some non barred birds carry a barring gene that is defective (mutated) so that the gene no longer causes barring. The gene would work the same as the recessive non-barring gene.

Tim

Quote:
DNA contains the recipe for making a protein. The cell makes the proteins according to the recipe on the DNA. The recipe for making a protein is found in the DNA and is called a gene. So, the color of a chicken is not actually determined by a gene; the protein made from the recipe is what determines the color of a chicken. .

Proteins are made up of subunits called amino acids; proteins can have more than 300 amino acids that are linked together. Proteins are put together like a train. Each amino acid would be like a box car on a train. There are 20 different amino acids that can be used to make a protein. Amino acids have names like glycine (gly). leucine (leu) and methionine (meth).

How a protein works is determined by how the amino acids are put together. If you change the sequence of how the amino acids are put together you change how the protein works. Lets say the following letters represent the amino acids in part of a protein.

Protein A A-S-D-F-G-H-J-K-L-Z-X-C-V-B-N-M-

Protein B A-S-D-F-R-T-J-K-L-Z-X-C-V-B-H-J-

There are 4 amino acid differences in protein A and protein B so they may work differently in a cell.

Something to remember if the amino acid sequence is different that means the DNA is different which means the gene or allele is different. Different alleles make different proteins.

The birchen protein found in the Fayoumi only has one amino acid that is different than the other birchen protein that was tested by Ling et al.

The down color of a fayoumi is darker than that of the campine which has a similar genotype. The dark down is reddish in the fayoumi because of the dark brown gene.

In the male campine the silver fills the pyle zone but in the fayoumi the neck hackles are silver and the rest of the bird has autosomal barring. The campine does not carry columbian and the fayoumi does- so is the plumage difference due to the fayoumi birchen or due to the additional columbian gene that is found in the fayoumi. I think it is due to the columbian gene and not the fayoumi birchen. That is my opinion but that may change if I think some more.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you! Interesting read; attractive birds. I guess I am still wondering how Queen Silvia ended up as a proposed E-allele, since it seems to be a relatively rare autosexing breed? Is it that "The patternis believed to be a mutation from white Leghorn" ?

Quote:
DNA contains the recipe for making a protein. The cell makes the proteins according to the recipe on the DNA. The recipe for making a protein is found in the DNA and is called a gene. So, the color of a chicken is not actually determined by a gene; the protein made from the recipe is what determines the color of a chicken. .

Proteins are made up of subunits called amino acids; proteins can have more than 300 amino acids that are linked together. Proteins are put together like a train. Each amino acid would be like a box car on a train. There are 20 different amino acids that can be used to make a protein. Amino acids have names like glycine (gly). leucine (leu) and methionine (meth).

How a protein works is determined by how the amino acids are put together. If you change the sequence of how the amino acids are put together you change how the protein works. Lets say the following letters represent the amino acids in part of a protein.

Protein A A-S-D-F-G-H-J-K-L-Z-X-C-V-B-N-M-

Protein B A-S-D-F-R-T-J-K-L-Z-X-C-V-B-H-J-

There are 4 amino acid differences in protein A and protein B so they may work differently in a cell.

Something to remember if the amino acid sequence is different that means the DNA is different which means the gene or allele is different. Different alleles make different proteins.

The birchen protein found in the Fayoumi only has one amino acid that is different than the other birchen protein that was tested by Ling et al.

The down color of a fayoumi is darker than that of the campine which has a similar genotype. The dark down is reddish in the fayoumi because of the dark brown gene.

In the male campine the silver fills the pyle zone but in the fayoumi the neck hackles are silver and the rest of the bird has autosomal barring. The campine does not carry columbian and the fayoumi does- so is the plumage difference due to the fayoumi birchen or due to the additional columbian gene that is found in the fayoumi. I think it is due to the columbian gene and not the fayoumi birchen. That is my opinion but that may change if I think some more.

Tim

Thanks, Tim--give me a couple of days to digest this...

Back
Top Bottom