Crele?

Quote:
Thank you! Interesting read; attractive birds. I guess I am still wondering how Queen Silvia ended up as a proposed E-allele, since it seems to be a relatively rare autosexing breed? Is it that "The patternis believed to be a mutation from white Leghorn" ?

The queen silvia is a breed or variety as posted on the coop and is different than the queen silvia E locus allele. The queen silvia allele was believed to be the most recessive allele by Dr. Rama Reddy (deceased) who was a geneticist at the University of Arkansas. That is all I know about the gene. I would not worry about the allele, in my opinion the gene is not prevalent in the chicken population. If it was prevalent, it would be found in the literature. I have not seen it mentioned in the literature I have read.

Tim

Mostly I was just curious as you usually find things mentioned in numerous places--even if it is to disagree, and kazjaps website was the only mention I have seen. Thanks!

Quote:
blckdotte says: no

Anyway what does crele mean, I know what the color bird is but I've yet to find a definition for it in Webster's or World Book dictionaries.

We sorta had this discusion on another thread invloving crele and creole and being from La. I know exactly what creole means and it has about 7 different definitions all dealing with mixtures and mostly mixes of race. I was wandering if they are anyway related in etymology? From the looks of the crele color it does look as if the word means mixed to me as you dont see many more mixed up colors than it in the bird world.
lol.png

catdaddy

Crele is a game bird name from cockfighting days in Britain. The colour was considered reminiscent to the cross hatch pattern of a woven fishing crele or creel,that was made from woven reeds or similar material. Spelling dependent on what part of the country you came from.

Creole is of Spanish origin and referred originally to a European born in the New World colonies of Spain,Portugal & France. It was then used as an adjective to describe people ,languages and other things ,such as food, that derived from this mixed race origin.
David

Quote:
There ya go and thank you for the definition that's exactly what I was wondering. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain as this is the way we learn and when it come to chickens, I'm game myself.
lol.png

catdaddy

i just lost my crele rooster on the 19th. i am sooooo sad! one of my very favorites ever. he followed me everywhere. guessing he was 12 or 13 yrs when he finally gave up the fight. had him in the house for the last 5 weeks hoping he would pull thru. anyway, i am looking for creles..........if you know of anyone who has them i would sure appreciate the contact infos. thanks.

Sorry to reincarnate an old topic, but on the breeding for crele, can a silver campine or fayoumi hen be used instead for the barring?

I got this information from:

Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States.

Catlin (1991) describes how he made his own strain of Creles by crossing two Crele males with two unrelated Black Breasted Red females. From the mating all the sons were dark
(intermediate) Creles and all the daughters pure Creles. By crossing first generation males and females he extracted some pure Crele males to go with the pure Crele females already obtained.
Wolf (1991):

SIRE.....................DAM..................SONS.............................................DAUGHTERS
Crele....................Crele............100% Crele.......................................100% Crele
Crele....................B.B. Red......100% Intermediate...........................100% Crele
Intermediate.......Crele...........50% Crele & 50% Intermediate.........50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
Intermediate.......B.B. Red......50% Intermediate & 50% B.B. Red....50% Crele & 50% B.B. Red
B.B. Red..............Crele............100% Intermediate...........................100% B.B. Red

Intermediate
In genetic term an "intermediate" male is heterozygous for barring (Bb). Females carry but one sex chromosome so a B- female would be called hemizygous; a BB (Black Breasted) male would be homozygous for barring.

Chris

Isnt Crele Actually CREam LEgbar

Dusting off this old thread from 4 years ago...
IMO - you probably couldn't say that all Creles are Cream Legbars, but you could probably say that Cream Legbars are Cream Creles.

Back
Top Bottom