Crested chickens getting head feathers pecked (bleeding)

ThomasShelby

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
I have 19 chickens that are all mixed breeds. Free range. Took over the entire flock from someone who was moving. When I got them one or two of the crested chickens had their feathers pecked from their head. Since getting them the problem has gotten worse and a majority of the chickens with feathers on their head get pecked (including the rooster) and have bleeding at times as well. They heal a little but then get pecked again. Have included pictures of one of the chickens. Anyone one why this is happening and how I can prevent it?

Attachments

• IMG_6431.jpeg
    IMG_6431.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6428.jpeg
    IMG_6428.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
    IMG_6429.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6430.jpeg
    IMG_6430.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I had a large flock of different breeds, most regular sized and a few bantam chickens. The 2 Polish chickens that looked like yours would have their head feathers pecked out every 6 months or so. Once it started, I had good luck spraying BluKote purple spray on the bare spots every 2-3 days. Some people have reported that BluKote had attracted pecking if regular feather picking was happening from boredom or over crowding. But it worked for my hens. If the head becomes totally bare and bleeds, then I would separate inside a wire dog crate with food and water, and apply plain Neosporin on their wound until they scab and heal.

Make sure they are getting a balanced chicken feed, 16-20% protein, so they are not pecking feathers to eat. Also, over crowding and not getting outside to free range may lead to pecking and boredom.

I had a large flock of different breeds, most regular sized and a few bantam chickens. The 2 Polish chickens that looked like yours would have their head feathers pecked out every 6 months or so. Once it started, I had good luck spraying BluKote purple spray on the bare spots every 2-3 days. Some people have reported that BluKote had attracted pecking if regular feather picking was happening from boredom or over crowding. But it worked for my hens. If the head becomes totally bare and bleeds, then I would separate inside a wire dog crate with food and water, and apply plain Neosporin on their wound until they scab and heal.

Make sure they are getting a balanced chicken feed, 16-20% protein, so they are not pecking feathers to eat. Also, over crowding and not getting outside to free range may lead to pecking and boredom.
I will try the blukote and see if that it will help. I appreciate all your help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom