Crested Cream Legbar/ Black Copper Maran or Bielfelder hen-Newbie ?

chickenfarmergal

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Columbia, SC
So I've got several hens that are full BCM and several Bielefelder hens. I have a Crested Cream Legbar Roo. I'm new to genetics and trying to learn or figure out. If I breed these combinations will the resulting chicks be sex-linked? I want to be able to tell them apart as chicks. My other question is can someone point me to a very basic, easy to follow source of information or would someone be my egg color genetic mentor? I'd like to learn more about breeding what to get chicks that lay______colored eggs.

The CCL crossed to Biel will be autosexing just like both breeds are.
The CCL crossed with BCM will not be sex linked.
Best place to learn is right here. Just ask your questions.
Thank you that was much less confusing than I thought. And If I understand correctly the CCL/Biel will give me a light blue egg layer and the CCL/Maran will give an F1 Olive egger. Correct?

Yes Biel's lay a light brown egg so I was thinking it would be a "pastel" green egg.
I have some decently dark Maran laying hens that's why I was thinking that would produce a decent olive egger.

Yes somewhat. They'll be like barred rocks at hatch and you'll have to go by head spots.
In theory the pullets because of having only one barring gene will have a small to next to no head spot and they usually have a more defined one.
Cockerels have two barring genes so that gives them larger head spots and the edges kinda blur out.
Problem is is that it's never that simple. Some males will have small for male head spots and some females will have larger then expected ones. That puts a few in the mid range so they make it difficult.
It's said that someone that is good at it only has about a 80% accuracy rate.

Back
Top Bottom